Pickup mounting?

rapfohl09

Hey everyone, I was just wondering how you guys drilled your pickup ring holes, any tricks to make sure they are straight? Also I was thinking about just mounting it to the wood, can I do that even if I dont have the to wood mounting rout? (just the regular humbucker)

GoDrex

What I did was put the pickups in the rings and then put it in the route. I put the two E strings on and lined the pickups up with them while also trying to keep the rings straight with the fret board and each other (parallel). I then pressed a drill bit though each hole so it would make a little dent in the paint. I then drilled a hole for each screw on each dent. I used a drill bit that was a tiny bit smaller than the screw. If the wood is really hard it might be better to use a bit that's the same size, but I was worried about the holes getting stripped over time. I made a mark on the bit so I wouldn't go too deep. I left it so there'd be a little bit of wood for it to screw into. Worked out well for me

seagulc

Did the body already have a finish when you drilled the holes? My dad is helping me out with the project and he seems to think the finish could easily crack during the drilling process.

GoDrex

Yes - it was my Warmoth finished LP gold top. I drilled all the holes with a battery powered hand drill and had no chipping or cracking at all. I just went very slowly - squeezed the trigger lightly.

I then pressed a drill bit though each hole so it would make a little dent in the paint. I then drilled a hole for each screw on each dent.

seagulc

Well that's a relief. Are there any other precautions I should know about? I read somewhere to put masking tape over the spot being drilled? Thanks for all the info.

GoDrex

Sure masking tape can be a good precaution.

I found that the finish is not brittle though so as long as you go slow I don't think you'll have a problem with cracking or chipping.

seagulc

What type of drill bit is best to use? A regular wood drill bit or something different?

runtfan

This is something I will be doing very soon, so I'm glad for the thread.

I was planning on using an awl to mark the pilot holes, but everything else seems like good advice.

One thing I will do that Dan Erlewine seems to preach is the spin the drill backwards first.  That will center it on the mark I make with the awl.