Pickup advice

spauldingrules

Okay, opinions pleeeez - Dimarzio Tone Zone vs. Super Distortion vs. Duncan JB.  Which would be best for me - I already have some Duncan 59s in a mahog strat that I really like, but I want something hotter in this new build.  Classic rock to hard rock sounds, nothing too heavy, although maybe up to some early Metallica type stuff.  I'm not a technical shredder by any means.  Which cleans up nicest, etc.  I want to be able to drive my amp a little harder than the 59s can.  Alder strat, maple neck, trem. guitar.

Discuss.

jb: like a hot, crunchy paf, with a lot of balls, with the emphasis on the mid-high end.

superdistortion: like a hot paf, imo a bit less output than the JB, but still: HOT! LOTS of lows and mids. if the JB is scream, then the superD is growl.

tonezone: even warmer than SD, but less output.

I prefer the JB. you can attenuate the highs, but you cant 'add' highs. especially in a mahogany-guitar thats something that aint too wrong I guess. the superd is cool too, but for me, a bit 'out dated' in tone. too much 70ies style, so to say. Something more for this day and age, is, imo the JB is a good pickup for old school stuff, but also for the newer work. and its a bit tighter with high gain, and 'loose' with lower gain, whilst the SD will always push and compress.

BUT! my personal favorite, is the dimarzio air norton. imo, the best of both worlds of the jb and the superD. warm, but not muddy, tight, but not TOO tight, vintage feel, but still progressive. great pinches and harmonics, but not over the hill like the JB. well, its just my own taste.

ever check out SD's Tone Wizard?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/

also their sound samples are pretty good if you have decent speakers.

from both I picked out the SD-5 Custom and SD-2 Jazz for my new build.

I've had a Duncan JB in one of my guitars now for nearly 20 years and I've always been very happy with it. Sounds great at any volume.

Drive ... then go for the duncan distortion or its cheaper counterpart the HB-103.  Either one will fill your needs.

JB: it wrote the gospel on "Classic rock to hard rock sounds, nothing too heavy, although maybe up to some early Metallica type stuff" :)
Especially on alder it should sound really sweeet...

I love my Super Distortion.  Its hot but not too hot.  It has a chopped high end so it really fattens up my leads.  It has a great "growl" to it and a full singing lead tone.  Sounds really good with a coil tap also.  Super versitale.  Another thing, if you try it and don't like it DiMarzio has a great exchange policy and customer service is second to none.  I'd recommend this pickup to anyone.

what position are you trying to put it in?  i don't know much about the JB but i'm quite keen on dimarzios.  both the SD and TZ are really nice versatile pickups but they also have their own character to them.

I say go with either the Tone Zone or the Super Distortion. Either one is a good choice. The Super Distortion is a pretty solid if you want to cover just about every style of hard music. I like the Tone Zone best though. It seems to cover everything pretty well and still manages to be unique. I really like how it sounds with my Wah pedal too. Call me crazy but I think the TZ either gives my wah a wider sweep or my wah can just do more with my TZ. Well, just my opinion. Hope your ax comes out great.

:rock-on:

jalbertochavez said:
I say go with either the Tone Zone or the Super Distortion. Either one is a good choice. The Super Distortion is a pretty solid if want to cover just about every style of hard music. I like the Tone Zone best though. It seems to cover everything pretty well and still manages to be unique. I really like how it sounds with my Wah pedal too. Call me crazy but I think the TZ either gives my wah a wider sweep or my wah can just do more with my TZ. Well, just my opinion. Hope your ax comes out great.

:rock-on:

i know exactly what you're talking about....it does react different to effects like the wah from the other pickups i've used.  i played around with it and an auto wah and it sounded like a talk box :party07:

Back