picks

I've been using the Tortex Fins for a while.  Usually flip over and play with the smallest point.

tortexpic.jpg

hannaugh said:
Wow, a lot of people use Dunlop Tortex!

they're great picks IMO, because they're really durable and they don't get slippery with sweat. They also have less pick attack noise.

One trick I've done with them and other pick types when they start to wear is use sandpaper to reshape the point. Don't really do it now, since I have packets of dozens of them.  :tard:

Pretty much exclusively Dunlop Nylon .60 and .73 matchpiks,  firstly for the quantity because I go through them faster than water. * I lose them * and because I like the flexibility of the nylon. I always break plastic picks.
and of course my Ebow

This (as usual with me... :doh:)  is going to sound crazy, but i could never get into playing guitar using a pick. It always sounds so plucky and weird to me. I get a smoother tone playing with my thumb, so 99% of the time, that's the way i play.

However, i still have a little container of picks that i keep around.
I have a bunch of medium celluloid Fender picks.
Some Jim Dunlop extra heavy picks (see-through yellow)
Some 1mm black Dunlop picks.
A brass "ice pix" (I always really hated the way that pick played because it felt so scrapey when i plucked the string)
Some medium gauge "The EBE pick"s (little alien graphics on the pick.)
Various medium light gauge Jim Dunlop and Fender picks.

I really like the Dunlop Nylons; the grippy part where the Dunlop logo is sort of embossed keeps me from dropping them. For electric I use a 1.0mm, for acoustic a .73mm. I really like the 1.0s after they've been used for a while and the point sort of gets rounded off. The only problem is that they're black, so I lose a lot of them...even on the couch or the coffee table.

Well Kevin Eubanks has a pretty solid career and he much never plays with picks as far as I know :)
Some people use the scraping sound intentionally, the Edge famously uses Herdim picks turned the "wrong way", giving him a "ching-ching" kind of sound.

line6man said:
Some medium gauge "The EBE pick"s (little alien graphics on the pick.)
I liked those for one big reason.  They glow in the dark so are easy to find if you drop one.  I found they wore out at the same speed as like celluloid though.

I try lots of picks.  I wear them out, and shove them in this big can I have...it's where they go to die.  I'm not sure why I'm keeping them, but there are thousands of them in there.  My favorites are Fender heavys, Dunlop Jazz III, and Claytons.  I can't stand light picks and I can't stand the Dunlop ones with the white crap on them.  I also use my fingers a lot, but not my nails, or finger picks, just the flesh on the ends of my fingers. 

I use whatever I get my hands on, as long as they are not too thick. I have a set of fairly thick cocobolo picks that I quite like though.

I also believe picks are like socks.. they disappear for no good reason..

forgot to mention, I recently caught myself playing with some old picks that I caught at concerts in the 80s.  it's funny, I used to treat them like something really collectable when I was younger, now I just use them for what they were intended for.  :icon_biggrin:

Haha, I have a pick that I caught at a concert that I resist using, but only because I don't want to rub off the text on it that says "You owe me a quarter!".

There's a pick my uncle wants to give me that was signed by Rick Derringer (I think). It was at least owned by him. I probably won't use it much, but it'll be nice to have.

Back