Picked up a little Warmoth on E-bay

DocNrock

Master Member
Picked up a black korina WGD body on E-bay today:

wgdcopy.jpg

Thanks to Lucky#7 on this board for bringing it to my attention.  Not exactly what I would've chosen for such a body, but after researching Garcia's guitars, I see where the original owner was going to go given the routes present.  It is routed for three full sized hb's, and has a battery box route in the back.  After seeing this, I thought of doing a baritone conversion with a wenge neck and macassar ebony fretboard, along with an on-board active eq and vintage output buckers to make use of the battery box.  I thought this might make a pretty cool and versatile home studio instrument.  However, two things squashed that idea.  One is that the only nut I could get with the baritone neck was corian;  I'm not thinking that would be the best with a Wilkinson trem, which this is routed for.  Secondly, given the overall scheme, I was thinking about a skull and crossbones at the 12th fret...only dots or nothing for the baritone necks....sooooo...

I held onto a few ideas.  Tonight, I faxed in an order for a wenge neck from Warmoth with the same macassar ebony fingerboard.  The skull and crossbones at the 12th were ordered, too (like that, Doug?).  The hardware will be black.  As far as pups go, I found the following in my "pup graveyard":  DiMarzio MegaDrive (discontinued) for the bridge, Air Norton (middle), and Jazz (neck)...perfect.  I could always replace the MegaDrive with an EJ special and add in an on board preamp to make use of the battery box.  Not sure yet what is going to become of that battery box.

Anyone have any other thoughts? 

DocNrock said:
Picked up a black korina WGD body on E-bay today:

wgdcopy.jpg

Thanks to Lucky#7 on this board for bringing it to my attention.  Not exactly what I would've chosen for such a body, but after researching Garcia's guitars, I see where the original owner was going to go given the routes present.  It is routed for three full sized hb's, and has a battery box route in the back.  After seeing this, I thought of doing a baritone conversion with a wenge neck and macassar ebony fretboard, along with an on-board active eq and vintage output buckers to make use of the battery box.  I thought this might make a pretty cool and versatile home studio instrument.  However, two things squashed that idea.  One is that the only nut I could get with the baritone neck was corian;  I'm not thinking that would be the best with a Wilkinson trem, which this is routed for.  Secondly, given the overall scheme, I was thinking about a skull and crossbones at the 12th fret...only dots or nothing for the baritone necks....sooooo...

I held onto a few ideas.  Tonight, I faxed in an order for a wenge neck from Warmoth with the same macassar ebony fingerboard.  The skull and crossbones at the 12th were ordered, too (like that, Doug?). The hardware will be black.  As far as pups go, I found the following in my "pup graveyard":  DiMarzio MegaDrive (discontinued) for the bridge, Air Norton (middle), and Jazz (neck)...perfect.  I could always replace the MegaDrive with an EJ special and add in an on board preamp to make use of the battery box.  Not sure yet what is going to become of that battery box.

Anyone have any other thoughts? 

This directed at me......a.k.a. neckplate ??? :icon_scratch:

Down the road, yes.  But what I meant was, didn't you say you were still partial to the skull and crossbones patterns from the 80's?

Spectacular.  I want to see what this looks like finished.  That's just some really cool figuring.  :toothy10:

DocNrock said:
Down the road, yes.  But what I meant was, didn't you say you were still partial to the skull and crossbones patterns from the 80's?
Heyallllllll yeah........ :headbang1:

When I saw the body and envisioned the color scheme of the guitar, it abstratly reminded my of the cover of the Nazareth Hair of the Dog album...anyone remember that?

DocNrock said:
When I saw the body and envisioned the color scheme of the guitar, it abstratly reminded my of the cover of the Nazareth Hair of the Dog album...anyone remember that?
Ohhhhh yeah......... :guitarplayer2:

Back