pick holder for back of headstock

dbw

Master Member
I've tried a lot of ways to hold picks over the years... I've used those little spring-loaded plastic pick holders, but they're not built to last.  I've used those velcro straps that come with Monster cables; wrap them around the head just above the nut and tuck your pick into it on the back.  This works great but is very ugly.  I've used cable ties instead, which looks a lot better but doesn't work as well.  Now I've come up with something I like, and it's totally invisible from the front of the guitar.

I went to a hardware store and got a large rubber washer and two steel washers, a big one and a small one, all with a small hole for a little wood screw.  Then I screwed them to the back of the headstock, little washer against the wood, then rubber washer, then big washer.  The edge of the rubber washer gets pushed against the body and you can slide a pick under there.  It's held in pretty securely but you can easily pull it out.

pickholderlh0.jpg

sounds ok if it's not a nice guitar. wouldnt do it to any of mine though. I do use the spring loaded pick thing. Havnt had any problems with them.
Are you eating up picks a lot when you play?

Brian

Sometimes I drop a pick when I play, or set it down somewhere and have to look for another.  Nice to have them at hand.

I'm sorry, that just reminds me of the cigarette holder in the headstock - by drilling a damn hole

stick a few picks under your pickguard, or tape em to the headstock... jeeze... dont drill holes

-CB- said:
I'm sorry, that just reminds me of the cigarette holder in the headstock - by drilling a damn hole

stick a few picks under your pickguard, or tape em to the headstock... jeeze... dont drill holes
A lot of people don't have pickguards, and you can't easily tape the pick back on when you're done.

Oh, and I kinda like the idea of a hole for a cigarette :D  It's very Lemmy/Slash-esque.

Wow, don't you guys have the little rubber things? Way better than ANY of these "solutions". They cost a buck and are for sale at my local shop. Slip between two strings and holds two picks securely, no mods necessary.

Attachments

• rubberthingy.jpg
    rubberthingy.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 385
I know its a bit lame, but i just use a strip of double sided masking tape on my lower horn on my Ibanez superstrat.
Holds Five picks on both sides  :headbang1:

tfarny said:
Wow, don't you guys have the little rubber things? Way better than ANY of these "solutions". They cost a buck and are for sale at my local shop. Slip between two strings and holds two picks securely, no mods necessary.

I use one of these, works fine for me.

I've got a genius solution.  :sign13:    It was invented by Levi Strauss sometime in the 1800's.
It's these little patches of fabric that are sewn onto the arse of my jeans with one side (usually the uppermost) left un-sewn.  Occasionally I use the hip mounted ones on the forward facing side of the jeans.
:icon_tongue:  :redflag:  :doh:

note: other brands of denim based pickholders are available.

Just messin'

jimh said:
I've got a genius solution.  :sign13:    It was invented by Levi Strauss sometime in the 1800's.
It's these little patches of fabric that are sewn onto the arse of my jeans with one side (usually the uppermost) left un-sewn.  Occasionally I use the hip mounted ones on the forward facing side of the jeans.
:icon_tongue:  :redflag:  :doh:

note: other brands of denim based pickholders are available.

Just messin'

If you are in the middle of a song preforming live you wont be able to reach in your pocket to get a pick. Thats what Masking tape is for  :icon_smile:

We have a lot of Metalheads here, pockets on Spandex is NOT an option.

You can also use Planet Waves straps to hold pick!
If you look at image you can see that Planet Waves squared logo, you can't see on image but it's a pocket to store picks, very useful solution.

west_coast_group.jpg

Back