Padouk neckdive?

Jazz bass should be fine. The upper horn goes out far enough that there should be proper strap placement causing good balance. And the body is already very bulky. I bet you'll be ok.

rockskate4x said:
Jazz bass should be fine. The upper horn goes out far enough that there should be proper strap placement causing good balance. And the body is already very bulky. I bet you'll be ok.

Did you read thru the thread?

I will not be using a strap, as i do all my playing sitting down.

According to this website, Padouk sounds like Indian Rosewood...
http://www.goodmanguitars.com/wood/padouk.html

This guy is definitely wrong, correct?
Warmoth says Padouk is similar to maple.

Oh, sry bout that.

I read the thread but it was a while ago....

I was just answering the immediate question

Why do Warmoth persist with these steel reinforcement bars when they make their necks so heavy? How many times do they have to hear about neck dive issues before they do something about it? I've had many non-steel reinforced necks that never suffered with the "dead spot" issues that Warmoth claim make them put steel bars in, irrespective of the fact that it makes their necks uncomfortable to play. When I strap on a guitar or bass I want it to feel right before I consider anything else. If I have to alter my playing style to accomodate a neck heavy design then I'm more likely to find something else that just feels right. How many other manufacturers use other means of reinforcement that doesn't effect tone/dead spot/balance? My Fender 5 string Jazz balances like a dream and sounds likewise. my old ESP Jazz 4 was the same. Come on, Warmoth, I love your products, but when I strap on my Jazz and it dives it just makes me want to look for something else! I know I'm not the only Warmoth user who feels this way.

jackthehack said:
If you primarily play sitting down, then "neck dive" shouldn't be a big issue.

Padouk is one of the few exotic woods I haven't used in a build yet, but I think generally most people's concerns about various exotic woods used as creating "neck-dive" simply from looking at wood density charts is pretty overblown. Of all the exotics guitar necks I've bought, th Gregg e only one that ever felt noticably heavier in the hand was a pau ferro neck.

That being said, a Squire agathis body is about as light as you're going to get. When you get around to ordering a new body, just stay away from the extra/ultra lightweight bodies you'd have to pay a premium for anyway and you'll probably be alright.

Maybe it's time to ping Gregg again about adding neck weights to the new website?

I don't think that the neck wood has anything to do with neck dive, it's Warmoth's insistance to use these bloody steel reinforcement bars,

line6man said:
Ok guys, i did it!

I put in an order for a Padouk/Pau Ferro fretless Jazz bass neck, with fingerboard FB194

Here is the fingerboard i choose:
FB194a.jpg

Hey!  That's the bass I was planning on building!  You better not be ordering my body out of the showcase....  :doh:

Back