P-90 in a Strat bridge

Graffiti62

Hi guys--

I'll soon be receiving my Squier Strat body back from my dad from being repainted, and I'm thinking of doing up the electronics. I already need a new pickguard because the previous owner had put a bunch of different holes in it. I wanted to do something a little different with it. The body is routed out to accomodate a humbucker if I so desire, but it seems like almost too many people have that setup already. Have any of you guys ever had a P-90 in the bridge of a Strat with the two Fender single coils?  I'm sure there'll be some difference in the sound, but I'm wondering if I'm barking up something that will not come off as well as I'd like it to. Have any of you guys done the same thing?  If so, did you have good luck with the results, or was it something that sounded awful?

Thanks!

The P-90 and the volume pot nearest the bridge cannot co-exist, they are right in each other's path.
If you want a Strat Pickguard with a P90 in the bridge, you'll need to omit the volume pot, the spec would look like "XTT5".

if it were ME, I'd go P-90 in neck, strat in mid, and PAF in bridge

but that's IF I were looking to get that kind of smorgasbord setup that all too often doesn't do all the things and tones that it's supposed to.

I would much rather just stay with three singles so you can have one angled in the bridge or whatever, and as far as output goes, well, depending on who you get from you could have them set to different outputs

The thing IS, a p-90 is just another single coil, so I do not see as much diversity coming out that setup as I would in a ssh.

But it's cool, I'm no fan of ssh anyway  :cool01:

I once refit a strat with Phat Cats... strange tone.  Not strat, not p90.

My money would go for the bridge position P92 Gibby.  These are ballsout the best "HB sized" p90ish pickup out there, and I have tried them all. 

Then a nice hot middlle pickup (say a Texas Special bridge pickup in the middle), and a moderate neck pickup..  That combination might be very tasty.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
The P-90 and the volume pot nearest the bridge cannot co-exist, they are right in each other's path.
If you want a Strat Pickguard with a P90 in the bridge, you'll need to omit the volume pot, the spec would look like "XTT5".

I'm cool with that--I'm going to have a concentric pot to give me volume and tone, and the bottom tone pot hole is going to have a kill switch mounted into it.

I guess I just want to get away from humbuckers--everybody has them, and it seems like people have forgotten how much oomph you really can get out of a single coil pickup. In addition, you can always get the humbucker capability when you set your switch at 2 and 4. I personally feel that the sound is a little more expressive that way, considering that there's some space between the pickups for a different sound than two coils right next to each other.

Back