Over the Cul-di-sac and on the back deck

Vol. Knob

My gig last night got canceled.  The night before, storms rolled through and took out electrical lines all over the place.  Power was still out last night, so it was off.

So I hung out on my back deck and did this instead.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHfXt2UxD8g[/youtube]

pretty cool...nice tone...

sounds like the crickets enjoyed it!  Kinda cool seeing some zep played thru a hot tele!

This vid was part of my lobbying effort to get my band to add a few Led Zeppelin songs to our reportoir.  I also have the guitar solo down, and a few other parts.  But as I was doing this sans vocals and as only one guitar, I made adjustments (and mistakes). 

Sounds really nice! It's kind of cool that a Tele always sounds like a Tele, no matter what you do to it. Your sound has a Jeff Buckley vibe to it here, with that Tele+reverb+slight dirt thing going :)

dmraco said:
pretty cool...nice tone...

sounds like the crickets enjoyed it!  Kinda cool seeing some zep played thru a hot tele!

Yup crickets are a nice background noise.  And in a month the cicadas will be deafening.  And yes, it is a hot tele, so was the air around me.  A hot, humid, day yesterday.  I was dripping with sweat and the citronella torches around me weren't helping, though the mosquito swarm did keeps its distance.  Otherwise I'd have stayed inside!!! 

A wee bit-o-grit and a touch of 'verb is always a good thing.  I'm running both p-90s on this one.  I confess, the amp is a line 6 spider III, but its the best practice amp I've ever used, and enough to gig on in an emergency.  This basic tone is one that I always try to shoot for, with just a little boost I can attain more distortion for harder tunes, roll back the "Vol. Knob" to clean it up for cleaner tones.  Not a new trick and I didn't come up with it by any stretch of the imagination.  Its simple and effective.

I did two songs last night.  here's the other.  Its the classical peice the Beatles borrowed from for "Blackbird", followed by "Blackbird".  Complete with mistakes as it was late and the Boulevard Singlewide IPA was taking hold of my brain.  I think I'm gonna do this again tonite, if'n it don't rain.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmbvwdg2Zmg[/youtube]

l_ef9b47134d1f4bad8076844bdf546fdb.jpg

The Pickups are Reed James Custom.  http://www.reedjamescustom.com  Vintage spec P-90s with Alnico II and V magnets.  Solid carved Cocobolo covers.

The trick to dialing in a good tone on Line 6 Spider, or any modeling amp, is the tried and true philosophy, K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple, Stupid.  No effects other than a touch of reverb.  In fact, with reverb, I dial it where I want it, then dial it down again.  Less is more.  Then I dial in the overdrive or grit to a point where it sounds just right, and then turn it down again.  Self restraint is key.  Overdrive and distortion are all kinds of fun, I'm a fan of the KaChunk.  But I'd rather hear the notes dance around each other as I try to express a melody while chording.

Truthfully, the Spider is a fantastic sounding amp, and highly versatile.

Back