Orange/Blue Jaguar (Roasted Content)

Georg_Figel

Hello Everyone,

it was time to make my dream Jaguar a reality.

Some specs:
Warmoth roasted swamp ash body and a roasted maple neck
A blue perloid pickguard.
Fender Locking Tuners
And otherwise, it's the hardware that Warmoth is selling. The tremolo they have is supposedly made by Gotoh.
Bareknuckle Mother's Milk single coils
Seymour Duncan SH-12 Custom Custom Humbucker

I wanted to paint the body orange, but since the Roasted Ash has a really nice wood grain, I added a fake f-hole in the front and a hexagon pattern on the back to show off the wood grain.

Some pictures:
At the beginning

Testing the hexagon pattern:

Masking:

Hexagon back:

My grain filling has room for improvement:

Modifying the control plate to fit a 5 way switch:

Awesome.
The Jaguar is my favourite guitar model since I got my first one from Warmoth.

I put on hardware on mine, including a hardtail, that I got from Expressway guitars that I found on Reverb. They also offer a 5-way switch control plate you might want to check out:
https://reverb.com/item/12008492-diagonal-blade-switch-plate-for-jaguar-guitars-wronski?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=12008492

thank you everyone :)

Logrinn said:
Awesome.
The Jaguar is my favourite guitar model since I got my first one from Warmoth.

I put on hardware on mine, including a hardtail, that I got from Expressway guitars that I found on Reverb. They also offer a 5-way switch control plate you might want to check out:
https://reverb.com/item/12008492-diagonal-blade-switch-plate-for-jaguar-guitars-wronski?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=12008492
omg, if only I knew. Back then, when I bought all the parts, I only found a control plate like that for 60$.
I would have gotten that one from Reverb instead

Moar progress:

Got this decal and I cut out just the outline

To apply it like this:

Decal on the headstock (my name is "Georg", therefore the Guitar's name is "Jageorg"... because it's a Jaguar, quite the dad joke)

This is how I fixed the Pickguard (I couldn't find one for HSS, so I modified a HH pickguard)

I know what you mean. I’ve seen the stuff from Faction guitars, while - I’m sure - high quality, they’re kinda pricey. Especially if you want it shipped to Sweden.

So when I stumbled upon Expressway, I ordered some plates and was rewarded with excellent service, fast shipping and great prices.

I think the hardtail plate looks great:

770.jpg_m.jpg

Logrinn said:
I know what you mean. I’ve seen the stuff from Faction guitars, while - I’m sure - high quality, they’re kinda pricey. Especially if you want it shipped to Sweden.

So when I stumbled upon Expressway, I ordered some plates and was rewarded with excellent service, fast shipping and great prices.

I think the hardtail plate looks great:

770.jpg_m.jpg

the hardtail plate is certainly stylish. It's for anyone who doesn't really like the Jazzmaster trem

And here she is :)

I've also put together a video of the whole process, with a sound demo and also an overproduced song at the end:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/lEKFaflA2CQ[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/lEKFaflA2CQ

Editing this video actually took longer than putting together the guitar xD

I've made all kinds of mistakes with the paintjob... but that gives it the homemade appeal ;)

Sound and playability is top notch though. The roasted maple neck has 2 thin layers of Tru Oil, it feels really amazing. Roasted maple with a super thin finish might be the nicest feeling neck.
Some people leave them completely unfinished, but the tru oil makes the color of the wood much more intense.

I'm very happy. Next I'll try if a roller bridge is an improvement or not.

Some more pictures:

Welcome to the Jaguar club! For mine, I've got the traditional non-sensical panic-in-the-middle-of-a-gig controls. Might need to do one that's less confusing.  :laughing7: Love that body shape so much, and I'm really digging the faux f hole on yours, especially with all that color contrast.

Beautiful guitar there.

thank you so much. I'm also glad you liked the video.

Tipperman said:
Welcome to the Jaguar club! For mine, I've got the traditional non-sensical panic-in-the-middle-of-a-gig controls. Might need to do one that's less confusing.  :laughing7: Love that body shape so much, and I'm really digging the faux f hole on yours, especially with all that color contrast.

Beautiful guitar there.

True. While I think that the original controls have some mojo, they're not always the most practical.
But I do like the idea of the secondary darker tone circuit. So I'm planning to install a darker tone capacitor, that'll be switchable with a push pull tone knob.

Usually, standard tone capacitor is dark enough, so I'm not sure how useful that'll be, but it's worth a try  :icon_biggrin:

I really enjoyed the video, great work. Wonderful concept and execution on the guitar, well done all around.
:headbang:

Georg_Figel said:

Tipperman said:

Beautiful guitar there.

True. While I think that the original controls have some mojo, they're not always the most practical.
But I do like the idea of the secondary darker tone circuit. So I'm planning to install a darker tone capacitor, that'll be switchable with a push pull tone knob.

Usually, standard tone capacitor is dark enough, so I'm not sure how useful that'll be, but it's worth a try  :icon_biggrin:

You get used to the weird controls after a while, but it's definitely an adjustment. The separate neck-only controls are nice to have, though. It definitely adds versatility. The strangle switch, on the other hand, can be ear-bleedingly bright. I love it, but it hurts sometimes. Good luck with the capacitor experiment. I hope it works out for you.

I'll throw this out there although you may already be aware of it: the dark character of the Jag/JM rhythm circuit is not a function of the tone capacitor, but rather the pot values. The standard values for that circuit are 1meg volume and 50k tone. A switchable resistor to ground in parallel with the pot may get you closer to the desired results?

Tipperman said:
Georg_Figel said:

Tipperman said:

Beautiful guitar there.

You get used to the weird controls after a while, but it's definitely an adjustment. The separate neck-only controls are nice to have, though. It definitely adds versatility. The strangle switch, on the other hand, can be ear-bleedingly bright. I love it, but it hurts sometimes. Good luck with the capacitor experiment. I hope it works out for you.

I'm certainly a fan of having lots of switches. I should consider a strangle switch in a future project :)

-VB- said:
I'll throw this out there although you may already be aware of it: the dark character of the Jag/JM rhythm circuit is not a function of the tone capacitor, but rather the pot values. The standard values for that circuit are 1meg volume and 50k tone. A switchable resistor to ground in parallel with the pot may get you closer to the desired results?

oh noes  :toothy11: well, I've already tried the switchable capacitor (amongst other things, it's a video I'm currently editing) and it didn't make much of a difference.
But it's a good idea to add a switchable resistor to ground in parallel. That should work a lot better.

That's pretty sweet, but I don't think I could have covered up that wood, that grain is just awesome...

Back