Opinoins Solicited

whitebison66

I bought PT944 when it got so silly cheap I couldn't justify not buying it.

I've already decided on a maple/maple Jackson reverse black-face headstock (though black binding would look good too, and I have some laying around). I tried to do a Kisekae but failed.

But here's my conundrum: half-scallop and black dots, or sharkfin inlays? It's one or the other, inlay or scallop.

I wish W did reverse sharkfins for right handed necks and not just lefties...

Truthfully, I'm leaning towards the inlay since I intend to get a fully scalloped neck soon, but I thought I'd air this out and see what happened. Thanks in advance!

I say go with the inlays, since you're planning on a separate scalloped neck in the future.

If it were up to me though, I'd keep the headstock's normal orientation, and get no inlays at all, or a single inlay on the 5th, 7th, or 12th fret  :icon_thumright:

EDIT:  If you were to get sharkfins on the 5th and 7th frets, it would look like fangs...

Seriously... you are choosing between something that affects the look of your guitar, and something that affects the actual playability and functionality of your guitar.

Ask yourself this: Are you more concerned with the look of your guitar, or its playability?

I would never choose looks over playability.
I would rather have the hideous guitar that plays perfectly than to have the beautiful work of the art does not play the way i want it to.

whitebison66 said:
I intend to get a fully scalloped neck soon

I don't understand.

If you are going to buy a scalloped neck, then what is the point of this one?

You are buying a neck, then replacing it with another one later on?

No, I'm going to build a whole other guitar for the fully scalloped neck. I already have a half-scallop neck on another guitar.

I just figured it would be fun to see what people thought. It is mostly a matter of aesthetics for me at this point, i.e. which looks more excessive. That's really all I was thinking.

Finally someone else who thinks the tele needs a rev Jacskon headstock...Get the sharkfins....... :icon_thumright:

BTW whitebison66, here's a pic of my tele with a rev Jackson pointy style....
index.php

If you're already planning another build with a scalloped board, then definitely go with the inlay.  :icon_biggrin:

Back