Opinion Please - New 12 String Build

Frankie Chestnuts

My retirement project!  Just showed up this week.  Split Jazzmaster 12 string. 

Question I have at this point:

With or without the upper pickguard?

When I ordered it, my intention was to leave it off.  Now that it's here, I like it. 

Attachments

• IMG_9512.jpg
    IMG_9512.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_9511.jpg
    IMG_9511.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 181
I'd put it on too (but I am possibly excessively fond of pickguards).

You could always leave it until it has all the other hardware and strings on before deciding.

I like it better with the upper pick-guard.  Gives it some symmetry and flow.

Bill, tgo

Because the finish is solid I vote for the pick guard.  By the way more pics please because I was thinking about the same thing for my next build :bananaguitar:

Here's one without the pickguard.  I'll post more as the build progresses.  Closer to real color.  Candy Blue.  :headbang5

Attachments

• IMG_9515.jpg
    IMG_9515.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 169
With! And good choice on the headstock! Seems like everyone goes for the symmetrical one, but that one is much cooler to me.

I've done a couple splits both without the upper but one is an exquisite piece of walnut off the old family farm that I wanted to show off and the other is a minimalist. I think this one screams for the top section. This is going to be sweet.

I would likely complete the build without the upper piece and play it for a while.  Just having some time to see and handle it with it set up that way may make the decision clearer. The candy blue looks great, by the way!

WF

It's not just symmetry, on this design the gap between makes a rally stripe. If the route was smaller you could make a carbonita style pickguard, but this thing needs the upper as well.

Definitely WITH the upper pickguard even though it is just aesthetics.

I'd be tempted too, to source out a white GT stripe to go down the length of that 12 string headstock to put some white to match the body scheme.  :cool01:

Re-Pete said:

I'd be tempted too, to source out a white GT stripe to go down the length of that 12 string headstock to put some white to match the body scheme.  :cool01:

Kinda in the style of a Shelby Cobra GT 500, That was the visual I got when I first saw it. Very classy color combo. I think I need a (another) blue guitar.

wildbill92879 said:
Re-Pete said:

Kinda in the style of a Shelby Cobra GT 500, That was the visual I got when I first saw it. Very classy color combo. I think I need a (another) blue guitar.

When I showed my wife the mock-up on the Warmoth site, she said "That looks like a sports car!"

Attachments

• 161246795657019559.jpg
    161246795657019559.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 137
Back