Open-grained look on Black Korina - opinions on filling?

jmohil

Hey guys, just got my parts for the korina V with ebony/wenge neck!

I would really appreciate your opinions on something...I'm going to do a pure tung oil finish, and am going for more of an open-grained, not completely filled look (always thought that kind of organic appearance was cool).   Do I want to do a a single black grain fill and sand back, or since it already has a decent figure should I just go as-is?    What do y'all think?

I went ahead and ordered stewmack black grain filler today just in case I decided to fill it.   Guess that gives me a few days to decide!

2487824787_4418a0a0b7_b.jpg

I have not a clue about your question, but that body is beautiful.

The single grain fill just to color the grain should work. Can't tell how deeply pored the grain is from the picture; would recommend using tung oil or Try-oil for the top finish,

Hey, nice body and great neck on your other post. Great looking combo. I'm doing a very similar thing to the black Korina dinky J body that's due tomorrow, let's keep each other updated. I can't decide whether to do black or clear grain fill, I'm going to black the area under the neck plate and see how it looks first. I think your question is going to depend on how deep the grain is, I did my walnut thinline with no fill at all and it came out really great, but that was very hard wood with tight grain.

Back