One Knob pot Value???

Twanking45

Hello everyone!

I am looking to make a guitar with a single knob and was wondering if that affects what value the knob potentiometer should be.

I heard that a single-knob guitar (volume, of course) that used a 250K pot would have the same impact on the tone that two 500k pots would have were the guitar a two-knob (one vol, one tone) type of guitar. Is this true?

FYI, I am looking to do two humbuckers.

Any help in understanding the one-knob pot value equation is most appreciated.

Cheers

Just use a 500K pot with two humbuckers.

For the rest it is overthinking it and is not really applicable to this use case.

stratamania said:

For the rest it is overthinking it and is not really applicable to this use case.

Gee, I sure don’t want them to be too brash. Are you saying that having one pot or two does not affect the tone in any way? That’s kinda what I was wondering. Thanks.

Two pots do affect the tone in a way but not quite like the 2x500k = 250k implies, except in specific circumstances. 

The general rule of thumb is to use 500k pots w/ humbuckers.  If you want a brighter sound with more highs, get a 1M pot, if you want darker sound, get a 250k pot.  Or, something I do on occasion with single volume guitars is to use slightly higher value pots (brighter) and add a resistor between the left leg and ground to cut the highs to the point where I like them.  For example, I have an bright Lawrence L500XL that I have wired with a 500k pot and a 1000k resistor giving an effective pot value of 333k which brings the highs to a much more manageable level (for me, at least).

If you are really concerned about it, just buy a 250k and a 500k and try both. They are cheap in the big scheme of things and not difficult to change out.

-VB- said:
If you are really concerned about it, just buy a 250k and a 500k and try both. They are cheap in the big scheme of things and not difficult to change out.

True story. Pots are cheap. If you don't like what you hear, what's another $5? Add your labor, and it's still almost nothing. Do what needs to be done now and call it a love story. It's not like you'll have to do it every week. You'll do it 1 or three times, and be happy in the end.

Twanking45 said:
stratamania said:

Gee, I sure don’t want them to be too brash. Are you saying that having one pot or two does not affect the tone in any way? That’s kinda what I was wondering. Thanks.

The rest of the replies already in the thread have expanded on my answer and why. For example the post of VinceClortho.

You can always try different pots, a single 500K to start with may be just the ticket and if not it isn't a big issue to add a resistor or change a pot hence my original answer.

Back