Ok so I forgot t wear gloves!!

BigBeard

:help: Ok so I just dyed a strat bright red with some stewmac colortone cherry red dye diluted in denatured alcohol and I forgot to wear gloves.  Well, I tried to get it off with some of the alcohol, and it is still on my fingertips after a couple of alcohol scrubbings, gojo, and a couple showers.  We're not talking a little red residue, I mean my fingertips are bright red!  Am I just going to have to live with red fingers for a few weeks or does this stuff come off any other way? 

29211_125715637454176_120842824608124_263145_1744061_n.jpg

I dyed a bass blue and one of my latex gloves tore; expect it to take at least a week to wear away...

i once tried to use one of those self-refill things for a printer color cartridge. it was an awful idea and i had blue printer ink on my hands for days. had to print up all my school work in red, but i had a story and some splotchy hands to prove it.

the good news is that is one BADASS looking strat you've got there. wow!

how did the ash take the dye?  I know warmoth stays away from sying anyhting but maple...looks good so far.  are you going to fill the grain?

DMRACO said:
how did the ash take the dye?  I know warmoth stays away from sying anyhting but maple...looks good so far.  are you going to fill the grain?

It took it really well.  I used denatured alcohol to dilute it with, the ash did suck up a bit of the alcohol/dye mixture, but the color is really a vibrant coke can red.  The grain is already filled with black filler...

JaySwear said:

the good news is that is one BADASS looking strat you've got there. wow!

Thank you very much, Jay.....  Too bad I have to send it to the guy I am building it for!!!

We are deciding on gloss or satin right now.  I could go either way myself, but it's his call.

go swimming i dyed my tele red and my gloves rippeed so my fingers were red next day i went to swim practice and by the time i got out all the red was offf

I sure hope no one robs a bank in your neighborhood. Might take a while to explain.

swarfrat said:
I sure hope no one robs a bank in your neighborhood. Might take a while to explain.

Good this he's got a time stamped picture as evidence...

Interstate Joe said:
swarfrat said:

Good this he's got a time stamped picture as evidence...

true. if only it weren't time stamped 5 years ago :icon_biggrin:

still one of the coolest looking trans finishes on swamp there is!

Back