Oil Finish that doesn't tint

rauchman

Greetings,

I've done 3 W partcasters using TruOil for the finish. I like working with TruOil, but it does produce a bit of an amber tint.

Looking for recommendations for an oil finish that is tint free...if such a thing exists

Greetings,

I've done 3 W partcasters using TruOil for the finish. I like working with TruOil, but it does produce a bit of an amber tint.

Looking for recommendations for an oil finish that is tint free...if such a thing exists
Wipe on poly might be your best bet

I posit that virtually any oil finish is going to tint to a lesser or greater degree. A clear wipe on poly as already suggested is probably a good alternative option.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have zero experience with wipe on poly

Any recommendations for application technique?

Spud also uses face oil, but I don't recommend it.

I've used the wipe on poly for many projects, especially for doors and furniture, it presents a nice smooth finish, I will say thought, after almost 10 years there is some yellowing on the Mahogany doors, though I call it a patina.

As to application, I put down the first coat of regular poly with a brush, then the second coat undiluted wipe on poly with a foam brush, then third and fourth coats, wipe on poly with 50% mineral spirts with a foam brush. Give it a month to get hard, then lightly buff. Done.

All oil tints to some degree. Danish Oil and Pure Tung Oil seem to have the least coloration in my experience, but it’s not as clear as a water based poly or lacquer. An oil based poly will likely tint, because well… oil tints

I don't have much experience with it, but I think Spud uses it on most of his builds?
I do/did. I like it but it does and always will eventually do a slight yellowing/vintage tint which I mostly like. Your gonna laugh but the last two I hve built I have started using Minwax Polycrylic. Way less voc, brutal smell, quick dry. However, using keda dye mixed in water, I did have to do a spray coat of Rustoleum oil base clear coat to lock in the dye or it would have reacted with the water base clear. I am exploring low VOC ways. If I ever just do a straight oil finish on a body to just protect and pop the grain, I would probably do tru-oil.

I have worked around too many chemicals for too long and now just a little exposure makes me feel nauseous. Yes, mostly always wore a respirator but some still gets through. I just can't do it anymore. Plus, if I am gonna blow my liver, I would prefer to at least get a fun buzz from it!

Spud also uses face oil, but I don't recommend it.

I've used the wipe on poly for many projects, especially for doors and furniture, it presents a nice smooth finish, I will say thought, after almost 10 years there is some yellowing on the Mahogany doors, though I call it a patina.

As to application, I put down the first coat of regular poly with a brush, then the second coat undiluted wipe on poly with a foam brush, then third and fourth coats, wipe on poly with 50% mineral spirts with a foam brush. Give it a month to get hard, then lightly buff. Done.
oh dear we are in trouble.......................Ric

If you want to give the poly a miss, Osmo hard wax oil might be worth a try. Lots of the Youtube furniture makers use it and remark on its lack of color-shift.

I still love you Ric...............................well..........sorta

Last edited:
Back