Off The Wall

shanejw

I use Off The Wall guitar hangers to hang my guitars up in my family room.  I took my LP down today to play it and noticed that there is a little discoloration where the guitar hangs by the headstock.  That's the only guitar I have with a raw neck and I looked at all my other necks and noticed no discoloration.  Anyone else see this with a stand/hanger?

Hmmm - thanks for the heads up.  I was thinking of going raw with the next tele, so I'll know to watch for that.

BTW - I've been using Hercules stands - no issues on finished guitars (which I know is no help to you what so ever)  :eek:ccasion14:

I have these kind of hangers. I'm very happy with them. When I get a raw neck I'll be sure to comment if they leave any mark.

http://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-Metal-Guitar-Hanger/dp/B0002F7IIK/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I have not seen my stand leave a mark on either my bubinga or rosewood necks.  However, a capo left on the headstock WILL make a mark on either.  It's not permanent, I just rub some lemon oil on and the color evens back out.

I've heard of this with nitro finishes but not with raw wood.  My canary neck has never touched the stand.  I either use A-frame stands or they go back into their cases.

The fix for this might be the same thing.  Put a fabric cover over the padding or replace it altogether with DIY padding out of some soft rolled fabric.  If you (or your significant other) is handy with fabrics its downright cheap.

Thanks for the heads up!

I always line my stands with old T-shirts because most inexpensive stand will eat nitro finish.

A lot of stands use Latex rubber tubing (yellow colored) and it decomposes with time.  I have shop towels that I washed and/or bleached about 5 times that I put between the stand and the guitar on my stands.  My Warwick Bass (maple body and wenge neck) just was heavy enough to push the tubing apart after a while and there are compression voids in the tubing on that stand.  Other ones have just had the tubing break down like old rubber bands, more latex rubber.  I was a bit pissed, but the towel was an easy solution.
Patrick

Back