nut?

Hahaha puuuulling this back on topic, sort of, can anyone give a brief rundown of what the different nut widths are for?  When does each one work best?

In general the wider the nut the more distance there are between the strings. It's all personal preference with regard to your playing style, the size of your hands, and the width of your neck.

ya, go to the nearest store, and play a prs or lp style (wider nuts) next to a fender style (thiner nuts) or if you play bass like me play a j (thin) then a p (wide). the  standard on most new basses is some ware between 1.5 (j bass) some times wider, but nothing as big as a P. music man uses one slightly wider than a j. so dose gibson

I'm semi experienced when it comes to nut sizes.  :icon_jokercolor:  hope that helps.
p.s. i hate mega death, pantera is where its at.
just thought i would turn the entire thread into a mini gaza strip.  :redflag: (war flag).

Shmoopie said:
just thought i would turn the entire thread into a mini gaza strip.   :redflag: (war flag).

... oh its on... its SO on.... but pantera is great too :laughing11: megadeth is so much more talented then metallica at least.

megadeth is so much more talented then metallica at least.
[/quote]

dieing cats sound better than metallica.

haha - i just was listening to "Go To Hell" by Megadeth a few minutes ago...great song. Yeah, Cliff Burton was pretty good, but didn't Ron McGovney do "Pulling Teeth"? *Not a big Metallica fan*
Did Metallica or Megadeth ever do a song about nuts? I mean, sure, "Sweating Bullets" could qualify, but what else? *not being vulgar, just off topic(slightly)*
meh....time to  :headbang: with DIO!!

According to Wikipedia: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Burton )

Trauma travelled to Los Angeles to perform at the Whisky a Go Go. Among those in attendance were James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich, both members of Metallica. After hearing Burton play his famous solo "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth", they asked him to replace departed bassist Ron McGovney, and since he felt that Trauma was "starting to get a little commercial", he agreed.

HamburgerBrad said:
cliff burton era = good metallica

VERY true. but my guitarist wont listen to me about this!! ive told him god knows how many times! metallicas first three albums wer the only good ones, while megadeth has been awesome through out!!!!!

Shmoopie said:
ya, go to the nearest store, and play a prs or lp style (wider nuts) next to a fender style (thiner nuts) or if you play bass like me play a j (thin) then a p (wide). the  standard on most new basses is some ware between 1.5 (j bass) some times wider, but nothing as big as a P. music man uses one slightly wider than a j. so dose gibson

I'm semi experienced when it comes to nut sizes.  :icon_jokercolor:  hope that helps.
just thought i would turn the entire thread into a mini gaza strip.   :redflag: (war flag).

actually fenders have what i call the medium nut width - there are three nut width sizes that have been standard on electric guitars for years - 1 5/8" (narrow),1 11/16" (medium), 1 3/4" (wide) - most all gibson's are the medium 1 11/16" size as well as most strats that i have played - jackson/charvel uses the 1 3/4" (at least the ones i've played) - the evh frankenstein is 1 5/8" as well as a lot of the old kramers - my warmoth strat is 1 3/4" - it took me 20 years to figure that all out but better late than never - once i got to that point where i knew exactly what i wanted in a guitar i sold all my guitars because they where bought before i knew all of this and i built a warmoth and every guitar i own from now on will be a warmoth - neddi 

Back