NTD

S

swarfrat

Had the good fortune of showing up while my wife was out of town, and she's never seen the rack with the cover off.  :evil4:
(Ignore the bass preamp and the broken boat anchor) Behringer 2600 - paid $65 used. Picked it up mostly for recording, although I'm sure it would be lovely in the role suggested by its location. Are there any deals out there on single space SMPS/Class D amps?

rack.jpg

Little late to the party here, but what are you talking about? What does NTD stand for? And what component is new here? What's the broken boat anchor?

Yup new toy day. Sorry, see it here a few times. The boat anchor is the 40 lb Carver PM1.5 power amp. The other position is a Yamaha PB100. No frills classic bass preamp.

Replacing the power amp wasn't one of my highest priorities, but doing so would let me use it for unpowered monitors while the rack is in "studio mode" vs "bass rig mode". I might put a patch bay on the back so I can yank the patch plugs and its ready to gig (preamp->compressor->power amp). In studio mode its wired preamp->board, board->compressor->computer,  and with a working power amp, it'd be board(control room out)->power amp->speakers.

I see. But, usually, "boat anchor" is reserved for heavy things you don't care if they go down in the briny deep. That's why I was confused.

A Carver PM 1.5, though, I'd hate to lose. That's a great piece of gear. It is heavy, I'll give you that. But, that's because it's got a power supply you could use to weld bridgework. The old Crowns were that way, too. Bloody things were back-breakers. Get a rack with 3 or 4 of those in it and you needed a fork lift to move it. On the plus side, they're hard to kill and easy to repair if you do knock 'em off.

Many solid state amps are moving to switching power supplies now, since heavy power demands in music are typically transient and switchers can provide a lot of power plus reserve for very little weight (relatively speaking). It's not unusual to see 800-1000 watt stereo amps that only weigh 10-12 pounds or so. Better still, they're down in the $300 range - unheard of in the not-too-distant past.

Hmm.. missed that part. Well, get it fixed, and use it with your home stereo. Lotsa watts are good for transients, which makes things come to life. I used to have one of those along with Carver's C4000t pre-amp...

image.php

Fed it with some nice peripherals and hooked it all up to a pair of big, fluffy Klipsch in front and some smaller Polks in back, and it was sweet. People thought I was nuts until they heard it.

Back