Not happy with new body, but what can I do?

Question - is there a correct way to wire the bridge to ground?

I've built a couple of guitars that seem to pick up radio interference when I go through the process of plugging in.  Only on the guitars i've built.

Let me be clear - there's no radio noise once plugged in.  But the process of plugging the lead into the jack - I will hear everything from the latest Post Malone to local news in Chinese.  Hmmm. 

That's interesting ...
So before the jack is plugged in nothing.
After the jack is plugged in nothing.
But for the brief moment during the plugging process there's radio.

Have you tried with other amps?

I suspect what is happening is that when you are plugging in, you are touching the tip of the jack to the ground of the bass.  At that point, the bass, and you while you are holding it, become an antenna and you start randomly picking up all the RF hash that's in the air in your area.  Now - a properly running amp should be filtering all that stuff out, but perhaps at that moment your bass/body is demodulating the RF signal.  Or something. 

To test my little hypothesis, touch the tip of the jack to a ground point on the bass and see what happens.

Oh - if there is no noise when you plug it in all the way, you likely have the bass grounded correctly.
Test it with a multi-meter to make sure, but I don't think there is an issue there.

Mayfly said:
I suspect what is happening is that when you are plugging in, you are touching the tip of the jack to the ground of the bass.  At that point, the bass, and you while you are holding it, become an antenna and you start randomly picking up all the RF hash that's in the air in your area.  Now - a properly running amp should be filtering all that stuff out, but perhaps at that moment your bass/body is demodulating the RF signal.  Or something. 

To test my little hypothesis, touch the tip of the jack to a ground point on the bass and see what happens.

Oh - if there is no noise when you plug it in all the way, you likely have the bass grounded correctly.
Test it with a multi-meter to make sure, but I don't think there is an issue there.
Now if someone was smart enough they could fit a switch to do this deliberately. Could be a great gimmick, radio solo!

Back