Noob Question: Are micro-mesh pads overkill for a satin finish?

Bob Hoover Ross

As I've been threatening for the past two or three years, I'm about to (no, really!) try a Minwax Wipe-On Poly finish on my Warmoth bass body (alder w/ quilted maple top cap...currently raw/unfinished). I got the Satin Finish poly because I don't want a glossy/shiney finish.

Given that, would using micro-mesh pads for the final buffing be overkill, unnecessary, perhaps even counter-productive?

I already have all manner of fine- to super-fine-grit wet and dry sandpapers which I figured I'd exhaust sequentially between coats and after the final coat, just wondering if there's something even finer I should be looking at once the poly hardens and before I'm ready to reassemble and start playing?

These https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Sandpaper_and_Finishing_Papers/Micro-Mesh_Soft_Touch_Pads.html  caught my eye, but then I wondered if they would just "gloss up" my satin finish?

Any insight appreciated, thanks.

If you wanna get some good results out of those abrasives, use 'em on your frets. They're great for that. But on your finish? No. They'd load up so fast you'd get nothing done.

Back