noob question about walnut vs swamp ash for a 7-string.

dani

hey mates,

long time lurker and first time poster here. so please go easy ya?

did a search but could not find anything specific regarding walnut vs swamp ash for a 7-string.

i will be building a warmoth 25" scale 7-string tele soon and do need some help regarding body and neck wood (likely wenge or canary but will post another thread on neck wood in the corresponding room). the only thing confirmed is an ebony fingerboard with ss frets.

i do understand that rig, pickups and individual touch is probably the most important factor in tone but i do prefer to build a 7 with my ideal inherent qualities and have the option of matching pickups and rig to it.

i read frank falbo's wood faq on jemsite that walnut is well suited for an erg since it has tight lows, alder-like mids and smooth highs similar to mahogany. that will be my perfect body wood based on what was written. i've read on various forums and the opinion on walnut is pretty extreme. some say it is plenty bright almost to that of maple while some said it is slightly brighter than mahogany. problem is, maple and mahogany is on the opposite end of the tonal spectrum.

i do have experience with swamp ash in a 6 and i like the dry tight lows and open mids, but highs can be a bit harsh.

i am looking for tight lows, low mid girth without a high mid spike and smooth highs. that said, given all variables remain the same, how would walnut and swamp ash compare in terms of response and tone?

thanks,
dani

Walnut has more highs than ash, but on the other hand, walnut has more "bottom" or lows if you want.
I would personaly go for swamp ash, because I think it's more balanced, and I would also consider padouk which has a bit more "bite" than the above.

On paper, walnut sounds like what you're looking for.

This may not be a problem for you, but a 7 string Tele and swamp ash body may cause some neck dive.

its exacty that. walnut sounds perfect on paper but what is it like in real life? anyone who had a walnut body guitar care to share its tone and response?

i am a bit concerned with the weight of swamp ash or the lack thereof since it is going to be rear-routed and a dual battery box hence my leaning towards walnut.

dani said:
its exacty that. walnut sounds perfect on paper but what is it like in real life? anyone who had a walnut body guitar care to share its tone and response?

i am a bit concerned with the weight of swamp ash or the lack thereof since it is going to be rear-routed and a dual battery box hence my leaning towards walnut.

I have a walnut tele that is pretty bright, but it sounds more full than a regular tele, since as Norwegian guy said, it has more bottom..
I also have a swamp ash strat (which sounds great!) that is not light at all... swamp ash can be pretty heavy!

Apparently walnut guitars can be pretty picky about pickups, I have no personal experience though.

I have owned both swamp ash and mahogany guitars, swamp ash being one of my favorites in terms of wood, it has a very nice balanced tone overall. The sound is very creamy and the notes are full and it has great sustain when paired with an ebony or rosewood fingerboard. In guitars like teles and strats you can also get that really nice chimey high sound when using single coils, and you can also get a good full bodied sound when using humbuckers. That said, I don't know much about walnut, or its pros or cons, but since I enjoy swamp ash, I'd say go with that.

Back