Non fine tuner route question

Mule Train

I have scoured the interwebz for two days and can’t find an answer or template for the original non fine tuner Floyd Rose.

I know the post spacing is the same as an OFR. My question is, in order to mount the NFT Floyd, will it drop into a regular strat tremolo route? Other than the posts, the only thing I can think of different could possibly be the area for the arm assembly below the plate may need some wood removal.
Stew Mac and Floyd websites only have dimensions for the unit, not a route template or routing dimensions...

Any help is appreciated

The post spacing is the only thing that is the same between a Floyd Rose and a Non Fine Tuner Floyd Rose. The NFT is wider than the locking version of a Floyd Rose. Warmoth offer a recessed rout for it as an off menu item and it requires a specific pickguard dimension if using one.

So no it is not likely to just drop into a regular strat rout. It would require either an angled neck pocket or a recessed rout.

stratamania said:
The post spacing is the only thing that is the same between a Floyd Rose and a Non Fine Tuner Floyd Rose. The NFT is wider than the locking version of a Floyd Rose. Warmoth offer a recessed rout for it as an off menu item and it requires a specific pickguard dimension if using one.

So no it is not likely to just drop into a regular strat rout. It would require either an angled neck pocket or a recessed rout.
Sorry I probably wasn’t clear, I am wanting to know in particular to the sustain block area, not about a recessed route. If I have a six screw vintage trem guitar, other than drilling for the posts, will I have to mod the block area for a non fine tuner Floyd? I am not concerned about anything else, as I can deal with that via shimming the neck.
Thanks

Take a look through this thread where I put a NFT together and you will probably see some photos of the recess and the back cavity in order to get an idea.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30781.0

As Warmoth offers the rout that would probably be a much easier option than adapting a six screw body.

stratamania said:
Take a look through this thread where I put a NFT together and you will probably see some photos of the recess and the back cavity in order to get an idea.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30781.0

As Warmoth offers the rout that would probably be a much easier option than adapting a six screw body.
I can’t find an answer that verifies that it needs any adapting. I am under the assumption Floyd made his very first originals to drop in a strat route and only needed to drill the two posts. That is the information I am after.

I tend to think it'll fit with room to spare. Not having used one I can't say for certain. But, if I wasn't able to get the data directly and was determined to use that bridge, I'd just buy the thing and modify to suit if necessary. If you already know the pivot post holes are placed correctly, that's the critical part. The balance of any necessary relief would be pretty simple to do, especially since it would be essentially hidden. 

Cagey said:
I tend to think it'll fit with room to spare. Not having used one I can't say for certain. But, if I wasn't able to get the data directly and was determined to use that bridge, I'd just buy the thing and modify to suit if necessary. If you already know the pivot post holes are placed correctly, that's the critical part. The balance of any necessary relief would be pretty simple to do, especially since it would be essentially hidden.
True, once I get the two post in it should be apparent. I should have assumed it will work, being there isn’t a routing diagram or template specific to it.

Not surprising.  The W when they went to offer this had people send doner units to them to work it out.
Have you tried calling the W?

I highly recommend just getting a body from Warmoth with the NFT rout. The R&D has already been done and will save you a headache.

I am going to put this here from another thread from a while ago...

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:
@ GT1-Reach and anyone else reading this in the future. Please take note and I have emphasized this so no one misses it.

The dimensions of the NFT Floyd and the OFR are different.

What is the same is the post width but that is about all.

I am quoting this again, in a bigger font, for anybody who thinks stratamania is just joking around. He is not.

Every armchair and backseat "guitar designer" out there who shook their heads at Warmoth for not knowing how blindingly simple it would be to just shorten up the rout behind the string clamps was wrong. Sorry dudes....it ain't as simple as you think it is. The baseplate on the NFT is wider. The NFT will not drop into an OFR rout....it is too wide. The entire rout has to be done from scratch.

stratamania said:
I highly recommend just getting a body from Warmoth with the NFT rout. The R&D has already been done and will save you a headache.

I am going to put this here from another thread from a while ago...

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:
@ GT1-Reach and anyone else reading this in the future. Please take note and I have emphasized this so no one misses it.

What is the same is the post width but that is about all.

I am quoting this again, in a bigger font, for anybody who thinks stratamania is just joking around. He is not.

Every armchair and backseat "guitar designer" out there who shook their heads at Warmoth for not knowing how blindingly simple it would be to just shorten up the rout behind the string clamps was wrong. Sorry dudes....it ain't as simple as you think it is. The baseplate on the NFT is wider. The NFT will not drop into an OFR rout....it is too wide. The entire rout has to be done from scratch.
Thanks, but that’s in reference to a recessed route and base plates. I was just looking for the difference between the route for the sustain block on vintage style and NFT Floyd, if indeed there is a difference.

Mule Train said:
Thanks, but that’s in reference to a recessed route and base plates. I was just looking for the difference between the route for the sustain block on vintage style and NFT Floyd, if indeed there is a difference.

Indeed it is but I point it out that things that may appear to be straightforward may turn out to be less than imagined.

If you already have a body and then have an NFT (which standard comes with screw in posts) and you are willing to do any adjustments that may be required then it should work. But you might want to adjust things to give more room for the block depending on how far you might want to pull up or push down. That would lead to a difference.

Floyd inserts and posts can also be obtained separately to the NFT and also work with it. Also which block are you going to use the standard one or replacement brass. As you can see there are quite a few variables that come into play in terms of optimum dimensions.

But if you are looking for a drop in replacement then all things considered it is not.

Just finishing up a build and have two or three more in the queue and trying to make a decision on which way to go. I really appreciate your help!

Mule Train said:
Just finishing up a build and have two or three more in the queue and trying to make a decision on which way to go. I really appreciate your help!

No problem and thanks...

Went to the source, in case this helps anybody in the future:

Hello there

The non fine tuner will fit the route in a strat. You will just need to drill for the post. The route is the same as the original but without the fine tuners.
Sincerely,
Dave Yockey
Floyd Rose Support

Mule Train said:
Went to the source, in case this helps anybody in the future:

Hello there

The non fine tuner will fit the route in a strat. You will just need to drill for the post. The route is the same as the original but without the fine tuners.
Sincerely,
Dave Yockey
Floyd Rose Support

That is the only thing that you just "need" to do.

For the rest there are variables as previously discussed which mean will what you just "need" to do could be less than optimum for your own preferences.

Rick said:
Always best to communicate with the horses mouth

Useful but not always the full story...

Back