NJD and NGD

TBurst Std

Warning- potentially long post as I’m verbose this evening.

Anyways, New Job Day Thursday.  Was made an offer and I accepted. I’ve been out of regular work since Thanksgiving 2016. Been doing piece work contract work largely as a Financial and Business Analyst, most recently for a company since Sept last year.  Late Nov I was approached and asked to write a job description for what I felt would meet their strategic needs and assist with their tactical desires currently.  I was cautiously optimistic coming into the last couple or so weeks. 

That allowed me to take advantage of something I felt I had a need for, a lower cost, smaller acoustic guitar. 
Wed was a new Guitar day.

I play a number of retreats, and some camps where anyone and everyone is allowed to pickup a guitar and play.  Well a retreat ago, I was honestly concerned that my Goodall acoustic was going to be damaged.  Stayed up to 2:00am till everyone was done with it. (My wake time was 4:30). Yes it’s insured but still, I do t want it damaged. 

I have also done some cross country family get togethers where the car/truck is full, and barely room for a Guitar

Some I have considered a smaller, less expensive acoustic.  Had been looking at Taylor Minis and it seemed one would work, but not in the budget.  Then just last week I happened across the Guild Jumbo Junior.  Roughly 1/3-1/2 the cost.

A few months ago I sold my Ovation 12 string and picked up a used Guild 12 string for only a few dollars more.  While not the American Guild I owned decades ago, it’s a very nice Guitar.

I decided to try the Guild Jumbo Junior.  I am happy so far.  The day before it arrived, I got to play some Taylor Minis again, and thought to myself, if the Guild is 1/2 the Guitar, it’s a keeper.  Well the Guild is more than 1/2 the Guitar.  I prefer the tonal balance as of now, and the projection seems better (a major item for a mini Guitar).

Anyways that’s what’s new for me.  Going to try some different strings on it that worked quite well on the Guild 12 string. 

I’m happy right now, got consistent income working for a company and with people I like, and I got a lower cost travel Guitar that exceeded my expectations at roughly 1/3 of what I thought I’d spend on one. 

First, a big congrats on the new job! And seeing as how you wrote the job description yourself, I'm  sure it's the perfect fit!  :cool01:

And any NGD is a great day too! Good to see things looking up for you.  :rock-on:

Some other observations to this Guitar:

Plays much easier while slacking / sitting down in my chair than my other acoustics

I think the soft case weighs more, possibly even the strap does

Already had a strap on hand that goes well with it (yes I have dedicated straps largely)

While laminated back/sides of hog, it does offer some hog influence. I didn’t have a hog acoustic,(and not sure I want to as I prefer more overtones). This presents a nice balance of the woodier hog tone while offering some overtones ( such as you would getwith EIR)

I seem to be adapting to the 23.5 scale length OK

New strings will likely go on Sun afternoon.  After a few more days bonding, I’ll reconsider if it’s a keeper. If so I’ll tweak the nut, bridge and relief to taste. 

Another upside,with the consistent job, I feel comfortable committing to traveling to England later this year. We had to cancel the trip last year.  One of my best friends lives there and it will be good to see him again.  Maybe Ill take the Guild Jumbo Junior as it will fit in overhead as well as coat storage. 

good news about the j-o-b.  I'm also interested in the travel guitar.  .  Mmh guild Jr. I gotta check it out.

Well put the new strings on it and they are a no go.  While I love DAddario Nickel Bronze on the Guild 12 string, they are NOT for this Guitar. So much so I chose to work remotely tomorrow so I can go get some different strings.  Though I don’t tend to be a PB string fan on acoustics,I believe that’s what this Guitar wants.

z4oqIc2.jpg

Back