Nitrocellulose lacquer question

Jaxon

My last guitar is a poplar strat body form Warmoth. The grain was better than I anticipated so I stained it black with Colorburst Carbon Black and then did my first nitrocellulose finish. I used the Colortone gloss from Stew Mac. It turned really well for my first attempt and I learned a lot! I'm planning a new project and want a solid color with lacquer clear coat. What types of color coat can I use that would be compatible with the nitro clear coat? And where could I buy online? Reranch never seems to be working. Every time I try to go into the store, it doesn't allow me in.  :tard:  Anyway, I'm really not looking for traditional guitar colors. The model sites have a lot of interesting synthetic lacquer paints. Can nitro go over those?

Rock on!  :guitarplayer2:

Not always, the resin bases of the respective materials can be incompatible.
Try www.reranch.com for premixed aerosol nitro, and stewmac.com has colorant for nitro.

*Edit* Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough, you've already tried reranch. I've never had a problem with their site, in fact I just ordered some red dye for my next project.

You open the reranch site, select the "products button.  that brings you to the second page, scroll all the way to the bottom and select a catagory from "buy reranch products online"

Many of us have had the same problem with that site, I'm sure the webmaster has been sniffing his own product,,,so to speak

the Reranch owner is a touring musician who also has a guitar repair business. whenever he is out of town on business he closes the store - and you see the login required message that keeps you from being able to place an order. maybe not the best way to manage the store when he's out of town, but I think it's better to be unable to order than to have your order sit in the queue for three weeks while he's on the road and unable to process/pack your supplies.

those in the know understand that there's no significant profit in selling the paint supplies. the guy is a vintage color buff who has the means to make these available to people for home use. I applaud his efforts to bring a quality, color correct product into the hands of hobbiests, small refinish shops, and DIY's

all the best,

R

OK, well I'm not exactly married to the idea of using nitrocellulose. I imagine that I could use poly over the synthethic lacquer. The model community has some interesting possiblities as far a color goes.

Check out Mohawk toners - these are nitro compatible, finish goes down - filler, sanding sealer, toner, then nitro gloss or satin top coat.

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/

If you want nitro just use pigmented gloss white lacquer tinted to whatever color you want.   Call Dunn-Edwards Paints at 800-733-3866 and dial 0 for the operator. Ask for customer service and tell them you want to order some Val-Spar gloss pigment lacquer tinted to a color.    If you want to put clear over the color I would suggest McFadden’s.

To choose colors go to the Dunn-Edwards web sight and look at the colors on line. http://www.dunnedwards.com/retail/content.asp?category=89 There are 1696 colors to choose from, click on a a color you like and it will appear in a large chip on the screen.  Just remember that what you see on a computer screen is only a representation of the true color.  If you are close to a Dunn-Edwards store go check out the fan deck because they are a much closer representation of the color.  Locations can be found on the web sight. http://www.dunnedwards.com/retail/content.asp?category=12

Tonar8353 said:
If you want nitro just use pigmented gloss white lacquer tinted to whatever color you want.   Call Dunn-Edwards Paints at 800-733-3866 and dial 0 for the operator. Ask for customer service and tell them you want to order some Val-Spar gloss pigment lacquer tinted to a color.    If you want to put clear over the color I would suggest McFadden’s.

To choose colors go to the Dunn-Edwards web sight and look at the colors on line. http://www.dunnedwards.com/retail/content.asp?category=89 There are 1696 colors to choose from, click on a a color you like and it will appear in a large chip on the screen.  Just remember that what you see on a computer screen is only a representation of the true color.  If you are close to a Dunn-Edwards store go check out the fan deck because they are a much closer representation of the color.  Locations can be found on the web sight. http://www.dunnedwards.com/retail/content.asp?category=12

Alternatively, you can buy Deft or Minwax so-called "brushing lacquer", which are both nitro products and available at hardware or home improvement stores. Then look in your local phonebook for paint stores, call and ask if they have industrial colorants (not universal colorants-an important distinction). Industrial pigments are compatible with most lacquers, including nitro. They should be able to match any color you want, and you'll be there for the whole process.

Back