NGD - old archtop acoustic

mgaut051

Paid too much (150$) for a project guitar. Maple ply with slightly wonky poplar neck.

Old Kay or Harmony, have all original parts. Guy I bought it from sanded it down.
Planning on Spotlight Special veneer treatment or upholstering with tweed.
3p90 or 3 minihum or Charlie Christian.

Thoughts?

photo5_zpsf3e4f6cc.jpg

This is totally procrastination.

Needs a reset but someone beat me to it. In a bad way.
FCD42ED9-F4D1-4B40-9B7C-48D6159211C3_zps5uyuncdm.jpg

On the upside, I won't feel bad about doing a kamikaze reset (sawing off the tenon) since it's already been done.

Will probably convert to a bolt on, through the hole routed for the pickup(s).

And that should help a lot with the wonkyness created by the shoddy fretboard extension work.
F09C77F8-F62D-4D7E-828F-4F28D393AB59_zpsbeddqigm.jpg

Le Goats said:
On the upside, I won't feel bad about doing a kamikaze reset (sawing off the tenon) since it's already been done.

Oh, no. Are you sure the tenon is gone? If so, that's going to be a super-weak joint. It's liable to sound deader'n - something really dead. Not to mention being incredibly weak. I'd almost be surprised if it can survive being strung up.

Cagey said:
Le Goats said:

Oh, no. Are you sure the tenon is gone? If so, that's going to be a super-weak joint. It's liable to sound deader'n - something really dead. Not to mention being incredibly weak. I'd almost be surprised if it can survive being strung up.

Not sure. But sure looks like from the neck under the fretboard at the body that it was cut, so most likely yes.
A little searching online supports that this is not all that uncommon. Plus I wonder... My spidey sense was tingling when I pointed out the cut marks to the guy I bought it from.
Regardless. It'll be a fun little project. The quality of the sound is a bit secondary to me. This is more of a practice than anything.

Back