NGD - Non Warmoth

Is it correct to assume that the tuners on all those guitars are powered by the same battery that runs the rest of the electronics and therefore only runs when a jack is plugged in?  I just use the pickup / transducer when recording demos and I don't have time / can't be bothered to mic the guitar properly or want to double a mic take.  On that basis, the tuner wouldn't work most of the time when I'm playing as it wouldn't have any power...  makes much more sense on an electric where you are plugged in pretty much all the time.  Obviously it's a different matter if you are gigging a Taylor and plugged into a PA every night where I can see it would be handy.

Cagey said:
I don't know how Mr. Taylor does it, but anything from him and his people sounds magical. For a while they were called "the poor man's Martin", but they're rarely even compared any more. You just go to the Taylor first. I have one of the lesser models here (314) and it's instantly recognizable by anyone who picks it up as a magical piece.

I have a 414ce and it's a fantastic instrument.  Very happy with the purchase and it's just a fantastic instrument.  I like it far more than some far more expensive guitars I've sat down with...not that the $1,600 I paid for it was pocket-change...

elgravos said:
Is it correct to assume that the tuners on all those guitars are powered by the same battery that runs the rest of the electronics and therefore only runs when a jack is plugged in?  I just use the pickup / transducer when recording demos and I don't have time / can't be bothered to mic the guitar properly or want to double a mic take.  On that basis, the tuner wouldn't work most of the time when I'm playing as it wouldn't have any power...  makes much more sense on an electric where you are plugged in pretty much all the time.  Obviously it's a different matter if you are gigging a Taylor and plugged into a PA every night where I can see it would be handy.

My $350 ibanez acoustic runs on a 9V and the guitar does not have to be plugged in for it to function. 

That is beautiful, I am envious.  There's just something about those rosewood Taylors.  I've got an ovankol 412ce with a similar tone to rosewood that I love, and it's pretty to look at... but not as pretty as the rosewood ones. 

Thanks, I'd never actually seen a rosewood one close up until I started shopping for this one.  It is quite something both visually and sonically.  Luxurious is the thing that keeps coming to mind when I look at it.  I've got some nice electrics - including my Warmoths - but this goes one step further.  It gives you a new appreciation for how much extra work / craft goes into making a good acoustic.

Nice Godin by the way.  I've always liked their guitars.  The acousticaster is another one that's on my to do list - though not sure I'll ever get to it!

Thanks!  Yeah, it's pretty awesome.  I played it for 2 hours yesterday, and somehow it got even better sounding on the way home from the guitar shop. 

I went to the Taylor factory a few years ago, that was a real treat.  If you're in the El Cajon area, you should check it out.  You'll drool through the whole tour.  They were making the Liberty Tree series when I was there. 

elgravos said:
Thanks, I'd never actually seen a rosewood one close up until I started shopping for this one.  It is quite something both visually and sonically.  Luxurious is the thing that keeps coming to mind when I look at it.  I've got some nice electrics - including my Warmoths - but this goes one step further.  It gives you a new appreciation for how much extra work / craft goes into making a good acoustic.

Nice Godin by the way.  I've always liked their guitars.  The acousticaster is another one that's on my to do list - though not sure I'll ever get to it!

your 814 really has me gassing.  I almost pulled the trigger on a 414.  Amazing the tone difference with a Taylor vs a Martin.  Both great sounding guitars but I really like the tone from these Taylors.  Martins are great players but do not have the pop I want from an acoustic.

Thanks, there really is a world of difference sound wise between a Martin and a Taylor.  That said, I really did like the Martin GPCPA1.  In an ideal world, I'd buy that one too - and a few others!  The 814 sounds better / richer IMO but the Martin had a great satin neck that was just awesome to play.

Definitely will swing by the Taylor factory given the chance.  I've been reading about the tour.  Now I just have to get my sorry rear end over to San Diego - not sure that will happen any time soon though...  It's a long way from Mass. though I could just about do with a couple of days of sun / warm weather right about now.

Back