NGD for the old wolf

greywolf

My boss was nice enough to give me a big performance bonus this year , and since I've been in the hospital for the last 5 weeks , I've had plenty of time to think about what to get.  I stumbled on this beauty , and she's on her way to me from Gruhn's  in Nashville.

Jaros Gatlinburg Model,  beautifully figured curly maple top, back, and peghead veneer, 24 fret, Earvana nut, pickup blend pot, push-pull coil split pots, Lindy Fralin pickups, tweed Hard Case

Built by Tony Nagy , who started the Gibson Nashville repiar shop. Nagy guitars and now works fro Gruhn's .

Attachments

• full pic.jpg
    full pic.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 473
It's a 3/4 body length deep tenon design. Similar to neck thru but the neck ends at the bridge.  I built one bass like this , a  royal pita but worth it tonally

Attachments

• back sm.jpg
    back sm.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 374
Thanks guys , it just arrived .. can't wait to play it .  My son is bringing it by the hospital for me to see.  Won't be able to rock out for another month  :sad1: the Doc won't let me go home .  but at least I can enjoy a little bit of it.

Nice axe there Greywolf. Sorry to hear of your hospitalization. I was there myself this time last year. FOr 10 weeks, so I can sympathize. Rest, heal and do what the nice medical professionals say. Speediest of recoveries!

Verified my new Jaros is #45 built by Tony Nagy, after Nashville businessman Dave Weiler bought the company in 2004.( Evil Ed Roman had it for a couple of years)  The Nagy built ones start at #2000

Attachments

• EX1228c.jpg
    EX1228c.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 400
Finally got to play it today, my son brought it by the hospital. 

It's surprisingly petite , very similar to the Hamer's  of the 80's .

Workmanship is outstanding , while it was suppose to be used , it shows no signs of it at all.  Nice to see curly maple binding with abalone side dots .

Heavier than expected , while it is like my CS-356 Gibson it is much more solid feeling.

It sustains like crazy, and has wonderful low action , very well set up by the guy who built it .( Tony Nagy)

I would highly recommend one if you can find one.  Look for serial #'s either below 1000 ( original Jaros)  or above 2000 which are the Nagy built .

Stay away from the 1000 ones they are Ed Roman's ... enough said

Attachments

• 2014-12-31_16-26-27_514.jpg
    2014-12-31_16-26-27_514.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 390
My best bud and fellow luthier Dave brought in my headphone amp ( danelectro  honeytone) and we put "Goldilocks" through her paces . 

We were both very  impressed .  I'm a big fan of blend pots and use them on all my bass builds , this is the first guitar I've had that had one exclusively ( my strat has one in addition to the 5 way for neck/bridge blend)  It does a very nice job of dialing in a wide variety of useable tones.  The split (single) with humbucker is really nice in clean mode to bring a very sweet acoustic element.

The Lindy Fralins do a great job , as expected . Along with Jason Lollar he makes some of the finest of the boutique pickups around. 

Over all very similar to the PRS hollowbody  tone range and sustain .

These guitars are very low production , and no longer in business . If you have a chance to play or buy one I'd give them 2 thumbs up . Certainly equal to anything I've played under $10k .

Back