NGD ! Carved Top Soloist !

Beautiful body.
It's a shame about the hardware though. You'll have to throw it in a fire now.

Erik Z said:
Love the all gold top hats. 

Volume, Volume, Tone?

It's actually tone tone volume.
Because the split position is a split neck in parallel to bridge, so having two tones is handy

icy_wind500 said:
Because the split position is a split neck in parallel to bridge, so having two tones is handy

Interesting and unique.  How do you have the selector switch set for selections?  Is it a 5, 4 or 3 way?

Totally prefering the new carved top to the old one! I'm still a flat top sucker tho.

On-topic; cool guitar! How does the floyd work with a roller nut?

Erik Z said:
icy_wind500 said:

Interesting and unique.  How do you have the selector switch set for selections?  Is it a 5, 4 or 3 way?

Its 5 ways:

1: bridge split
2: neck split + bridge
3: neck
4: neck +bridge
5: bridge

Cederick said:
Totally prefering the new carved top to the old one! I'm still a flat top sucker tho.

Its actually working much better than I've imagined. I had it decked though, I only use it for slight slimmers but I've tried diving it and it still stayed in tune. So I'm pretty happy

Cederick said:

The only reason Floyds have a locking nut is because there were no such things as locking tuners back then. It was 1980. We were lucky to have hot dog buns, electricity and indoor plumbing.

But, seriously, there's no reason to have a locking nut today, unless you have some deep, meaningful hatred for your neck. It's an old design that's seen it prime and passed it. A well-fabbed nut and locking tuners work just as well for less money and damage.

Cagey said:
Cederick said:

The only reason Floyds have a locking nut is because there were no such things as locking tuners back then. It was 1980. We were lucky to have hot dog buns, electricity and indoor plumbing.

But, seriously, there's no reason to have a locking nut today, unless you have some deep, meaningful hatred for your neck. It's an old design that's seen it prime and passed it. A well-fabbed nut and locking tuners work just as well for less money and damage.

Which basically means the Kahler behind-the-nut design is NOT bad?  :icon_biggrin:

It simply means there's no reason to lock the nut when the strings are already locked.

I just built a Tele for a guy in England that had a Kahler on it. Had Schallers or Sperzels on it, I don't remember which. We left off the locking nut as superfluous. Works fine.

There will always be tuning issues, no matter how well you lock things up. Strings stretch and go flat - it's just physics. Nothing you can do but tighten them up. That's why the double-locking systems have the complication of micro-tuners.

I stopped doing locking nuts on floyds in 2008. If it's on the guitar factory fitted I won't take it off but I prefer no locking nut. But I do love floyds.

About the guitar. I love it, I really do but that decal makes me puke.  :doh: :help: :tard: :sad1:

Okay, I see... Good to know! I'm going to upgrade a friends Squire strat with a Floyd and knowing this I wont go through the trouble of routing for a floyd nut and just put some locking stuff behind the nut (graphtech)

Saw that Floyd Rose has re-released the original FR that didn't include fine tuners.  It's used on Guthrie Govan's Charvel model.  Looks a lot less busy than the standard Floyd so perhaps a good choice for this type of setup.

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:non-fine-tuner

elgravos said:
Saw that Floyd Rose has re-released the original FR that didn't include fine tuners.  It's used on Guthrie Govan's Charvel model.  Looks a lot less busy than the standard Floyd so perhaps a good choice for this type of setup.

But that sorta loses the Floyd look!
I just screw all the fine tuners down and it works alright

elgravos said:

Has anyone seen one for sale anywhere other than on GG Charvel, or know what the rout dimensions are compared to a normal floyd ?

'Fraid not.  Would have to guess that the dimensions are the same as a standard Floyd - thought don't take my word for it!

I definitely dig the idea - and I'm not too bothered about losing the look on a guitar that's not all pointy.  I do wonder about the necessity of having bridge string clamps though on this kind of set up.  It's radiused as well.  Will be following this one closely though as it looks like a good alternative to the wilkinson - which I'm finding a little fickle these days. 

With a well cut and lubed nut and locking tuners, the bridge is the remaining point where after trem usage something has a chance to have moved and not returned to its exact previous position.

The use of the clamps at the bridge on the non fine tuner Floyd with locking tuners means that the string is effectively anchored at both ends. The nut would still need to be properly cut and lubed and string trees avoided but this should provide a very stable set up.

Back