New Warmoth Video: 10 Strap Buttons Compared!

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:
I was also going to politely point out as a former resident of Amsterdam that Grolsch is Dutch, but I see that has already been mentioned... :icon_thumright:

The funny things is, I even double checked just prior to shooting the video, to make sure I got it right. Then, while filming the word that came out was "Danish".

Here's the confusion for the average American: Is it Holland? Then why don't we call them "Hollandese"? Why "Dutch"? And Denmark borders on German too...and also starts with a "D", which makes "Dane" and "Dutch" confusing. And is it Holland, or is it the Netherlands? How does Belgium fit in the mix? Maybe the Dutch and Belgian need to call themselves "Netherlandians".

Whatever is going on here, it was obviously done without consulting the marketing department.

And don't even get me started on England vs Britain vs UK.

And....why lbs for pounds?

Hollandese is not used because it would be confused with Hollandaise sauce - not really. The Netherlands has twelve provinces. North and South Holland are just two of them.

Dutch the British are to blame, as they referred to the Netherlands and Germany as Dutch and did not distingiush between the Germanic languages. Later German became German but in Dutch German is Duits.

Now Belgium... it has only been a country since 1830 and was formed from some of the southern provinces of the Netherlands, known as Flanders and to the south part of what was France known as Wallonia and the Brussels capital region. The languages spoken are French, Dutch and some German. The Dutch spoken in Belgium where I now live is more similar to older Dutch and is called Vlaams or Flemish Dutch. A city called Mechelen which is located between Antwerp and Brussels in the first half of the 16th century was essentially the capital of all of the Netherlands which at the time comprised what is now the Netherlands, Brussels and Luxembourg.

Lets analyse the United Kingdom...the United Kingdom is actually the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland are a few counties of the island of Ireland that are part of the Union with Great Britain. Great Britain is essentially a large island which consists of three countries, England, Wales and Scotland.  Many of the counties of England were originally Kingdoms in thier own right which also is where probably the idea of the United Kingdoms comes from.

lb is an abbreviation of libra from the Roman.

Any thoughts or knowledge on the Fender Infinity strap locks?

0990818600-large.jpg.auto.webp

Wow, didn't occur to me there was so much variation.
Thanks for doing this!

Both my Squiers have the 'standard' version.

My bottom-of-the-Artcore-line Ibanez AM53 has Aaron's favorite, and I'm in total agreement about these industrial design details. This bargain guitar is impressing me more and more (after polishing the frets and replacing the nut).

I never liked Hollandaise sauce.  I think its French but popular in the UK as far as I know.

Germans, Austrians, Begians all make great beer.  I was surprised to hear that Grolsh is from Denmark.

JohnnyHardtail said:
I never liked Hollandaise sauce.  I think its French but popular in the UK as far as I know.

Germans, Austrians, Begians all make great beer.  I was surprised to hear that Grolsh is from Denmark.

Grolsch is made in the Netherlands, it is a Dutch beer.

My understanding of "Pennsylvania Dutch" is that when things began to get ugly around WWII that they were more than happy to help the confusion in American English between Deutch and Dutch along in any way possible.

swarfrat said:
My understanding of "Pennsylvania Dutch" is that when things began to get ugly around WWII that they were more than happy to help the confusion in American English between Deutch and Dutch along in any way possible.

My great grandfather was Pennsylvania Dutch.  He immigrated to Canada just after WWI - so I think that the intentional confusion happened one war earlier.

The attached pic is what I've done for years.  I recently learned that Billy Sheehan does something similar, but more heavy duty.  I'm thinking about going to his method.

Attachments

• StrapLocks.JPG
    StrapLocks.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 136
I believe Stanley Clarke also just screws his straps directly into his basses for a permanent mount.

Bill, tgo

I went and bought a strap for every guitar-shaped thing. That's only 5 if you count the panjo. So easy-on, difficult-off seems like a good situation to me. Hopefully that number doesn't grow...

Back