New video: Quartersawn Necks

I was dumb enough to ask about roasted quartersawn maple in the middle of my neck build several years ago - lost my spot in line - but the regular quartersawn maple is quite awesome in terms of stability etc. The detail about bends having a bit of give in a regular neck vs stiff in q-sawn is well put; it also might be the most revealing spot in a direct comparison between the two cuts. The stiff feel does seem to correlate to a slightly brighter attack/pop, but it could be wishful hearing.

I was just playing one of my Warmothions and happened to have a peek at the neck and it is quartersawn. I did not specifically order that as far as I can recall (was Warmoth choice). Do some necks just happen to be quatersawn randomly?

I got a neck that was rift sawn Wenge. I think when doing a batch of flat sawn there's a random rift or quartersawn that makes it into the bunch.

Last edited:
I was just playing one of my Warmothions and happened to have a peek at the neck and it is quartersawn. I did not specifically order that as far as I can recall (was Warmoth choice). Do some necks just happen to be quatersawn randomly?

I think they’re usually quarter sawn. I’m pretty sure every Warmoth neck I’ve ever had (10 or so) were all quarter sawn.

I'm going to retract this. I took a closer look at my necks and I'm honestly not sure what any of them are now! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Really dig the dramatic zoom in on your face when you say "your music career is ruined". Essential special effect to bring the message across 🤣

One point to note is that if you flat saw a log, you will end up with at least one slice that looks like it is quarter sawn. However, a sawyer (perhaps called Tom) or someone being strict on definition would tell you that it is not actually quarter sawn as mentioned in the video, as the log was flat sawn.

Practically, a slice of flat sawn that has the same characteristics as if the log were quarter sawn with perpendicular grain in that board is for most of us the same result, however it was actually sawn out of the log.

And for those interested, the flecking mentioned in the video is caused by the medullary rays of the wood being most apparent in a board with perpendicular Q sawn grain characteristics.

Is actual Q Sawn more wasteful?
It could be argued that if the purpose of that log is to produce as much wood as possible with those characteristics for making violin necks, for example. In these types of cases, Q sawn will produce a higher yield from the log with the desired characteristics. So, in such a case, you might end up with more usable wood for what you are looking for.

Really dig the dramatic zoom in on your face when you say "your music career is ruined". Essential special effect to bring the message across 🤣

LOL. I thought about adding reverb and detuning it a bit, but just didn't have the time.

But I did want to emphasize the point that it's the music that matters most, always and forever.

I often wish I had the time to produce these videos to the max like some other YouTubers do. I suspect they have help/assistants, whereas I am literally doing every single thing myself.

Certainly looks qsawn to some degree. Usually if it's nice qsawn we're gonna charge extra for it. If it's in the gray area we'll let it slide. Sort of like flame: sometimes there not enough to call it "flame" so somebody gets a free bonus.
No Aaron, this one is a true festivus miracle.

Well, I popped the neck off and the grain at the heel is more like 75 degrees or so, dang Aaron may just be right!

Another thing I was wondering thinking is 1/4 sawn may be more stable against the forces of string tension, but the truss rod is already doing that. However, wouldn't it be more prone to moving side to side? That can't be fixed.

W neck on my thinline is definitely not quarter sawn. Almost perfectly slab. But the one I got for the strat is quarter-sawn-ish. Looks like it was cut more from the center as the angle of the grain lines changes fairly noticeably. At least from what I can tell from the headstock.

Back