New video: How to wrap strings the Warmoth way!

Dang, I will try that next time! (Though, I have always enjoyed the risky removal and chance of drawing blood) I am looking at YOU g string

I haven't poked myself since I switched everything over to hipshot locking tuners, let's see that would be no stabbings since about 2010.
I would say locking tuners are a convenience and not a necessity. Though, I have them on some.

I switch to hipshot staggering lock tuners too, will you do a video how-to, for the hipshot

I plan to restring the Martin this weekend. This looks cleaner than my usual method. Gonna give it a whirl.

No injuries of note here, but during a gig, the acoustic guitarist/singer broke a string not far up from the bridge. On the fly, tried to remove said string from the bridge and rammed it under his finger nail a good 1/2 inch. Ouch.

On non lockers and non F safety post, I've been using the wrap under and back over for the tag end. Will try this next time.

I would say locking tuners are a convenience and not a necessity. Though, I have them on some.
I put them on everything, except for my Tele build which has vintage Kluson-style Gotohs with staggered posts.

Last edited:
I've always been afraid of stabbing myself in the eye while changing strings. I got glasses for working at the computer about a year ago and I thought to myself, "Self, sure you've never been stabbed in the eye while changing strings, but that is surely a fluke. Better wear your new glasses while you change these strings just to be safe."

Wouldn't you know it that was the ONE time that I got stabbed in the eye! And I do mean my actual eyeball. The string unexpectedly unraveled when I pulled it out of the bag and it went under(!) my glasses and hit my eyeball. Thankfully there didn't seem to be any damage, but it did hurt and mostly scared me.

I've been thinking about marketing some string changing goggles. 🧐

Thanks for another great video, Aaron! I've got locking tuners nearly all of my guitars, even those with locking nuts, for convenience in string changes. I just got a new guitar a couple of weeks ago, and before I replace the tuners with lockers I I'm going to try your method. That looks much quicker and easier than what I've been doing. Maybe I won't need to bother with locking tuners this time.

My method is the same, but I go to the next tuner for length, and go one lap over the top of the string/hole, then the rest under to lock the string in place and direct the wrap downwards. Doing it this way allows me to eliminate a string tree on most guitars, depending on the tuners used.

Yea. same way I've been doing it forever, other than I do the first bend after the string is through the hole and I eyeball the length at the bend.

I have lockers on everything - including my acoustics. So sadly I won't be using Aaron's way :)
Well, I don't have lockers on my acoustics, but now that I think of it, it's not a bad idea. I do have Hipshot locking tuning machines on all my electrics - except for one with Gotoh lockers (which I will probably upgrade to Hipshots at some time in the future). Locking tuners are so easy to change strings with it's ridiculous, compared to old fashioned standard tuners; and at least in my experience, have better tuning stability.

Back