New video: Angle vs Straight Humbucker Shootout.

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Check it out! (Features a photo of young Aaron....just a wee lad.)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/QXOgJmWciwY[/youtube]

Thanks for the interesting video.  There was a difference, but it didn't really give me a motivation to order this option.  Is it strictly for EVH fans?

I noticed that several Superstrat guitars from the 80s and 90s had the bridge humbucker placed closer to the bridge, so I've been experimenting with that.

I prefer my humbuckers to be mounted  straight.
With that said, I thought you (Aaron) had some awesome tone coming from that guitar (in both configurations).  What's the rig rundown?

The difference is modest, but real and could be important to you if you're after THAT SOUND. The ugliness however is inescapable. Also... does it sound any different without the cigarette stuck in the strings? We need a shootout.

Street Avenger said:
I prefer my humbuckers to be mounted  straight.
With that said, I thought you (Aaron) had some awesome tone coming from that guitar (in both configurations).  What's the rig rundown?

Me >> Warmoth Soloist Body of Tonal Discovery >> SD JB >> EVH 5150 pedal >> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe >> SM57 >> Focusrite Pre >> Reaper

swarfrat said:
The difference is modest, but real and could be important to you if you're after THAT SOUND. The ugliness however is inescapable. Also... does it sound any different without the cigarette stuck in the strings? We need a shootout.

3lemhs.png

So I definitely don't like the appearance of the angled but they both sound good

Reminds me of when I changed the HSS pickguard on my Squier Vintage Modified HSS to a Warmoth HSS pickguard. I noticed that the Humbucker rout was closer to the bridge on the Squier pickguard vs the Warmoth guard (which matches the Fender AM series HSS rout). I checked the wood rout below had plenty clearance to allow the pickguard change and I did notice a slightly warmer tone.

But the angled bucker is further into the furry warm zone, which could be great with certain builds/goals. All subjective. I actually think I'd prefer the opposite angle if I liked the look, something I've always thought would benefit a strat bridge pup.

Love the video and the guitar of tonal discovery, I imagine this allows testing for 24 fret reposition neck tone differences? Cool  :icon_thumright:

What I'd really like to know about the 24 fret reposition is...

why is the difference between G1 Y6.375 and G1 Y7.155 $35???

swarfrat said:
What I'd really like to know about the 24 fret reposition is...

why is the difference between G1 Y6.375 and G1 Y7.155 $35???

Why does any option have an upcharge?

Business and production costs.

Usually there are reasons. Scalloped is done on a jig, and so is only available on 25.5. Not sure why 7.25" is only an option on vintage construction but I vaguely recall there's a reason - possibly somehow related to the truss rod.  Certain things require different steps.

But I believe  24 fret relocate on the neck pickup is literally a different Y-coordinate in a machine program.

If you have a stack of bodies needing routing with the same cavities you can just run them one after the other.

If you have to change the program for one body with a 24 fret reposition out of many more and back again that is time and may require a more experienced operator to help. Time = money in most operations.

I've worked in machine tool manufacturing and I'm aware of the degree to which changes in work flow affect cost and pricing. But there's no upcharge for a P90 vs a Strat vs a Tele vs a filtertron pickup, yet there is for the position of a pickup.

swarfrat said:
I've worked in machine tool manufacturing and I'm aware of the degree to which changes in work flow affect cost and pricing. But there's no upcharge for a P90 vs a Strat vs a Tele vs a filtertron pickup, yet there is for the position of a pickup.

There is also an upcharge for contoured heels and various other things that are different than a standard option, Warmoth get to call the price for the options offered. Perhaps pickup position changes involve more activity than different rout options but Warmoth would need to speak to that.

There is probably also a certain degree of pricing being what folks will pay. If you want an off menu or non standard option most would be prepared to pay extra for it or a few not as the case may be.

Maybe there's some instances where they have to stop mid-process and select another program, and/or do a tool change.

Obviously the change of CNC program and the craftsman doing a different set of QC checks/measurements are probably the main reasons.

But I wonder if it’s also related to the wiring hole drilled being a more difficult angle (for top rout bodies). Just a thought.

I also noticed tele neck pickup is a $45 upcharge on the top rout bodies. But I saw how much smaller it is and probably has smaller tolerances, and more skills or processes to replicate consistently.
:dontknow:

And the back room and front office charges, for is this really what you or they want, and will it work with this or that questions. Somewhere those costs also need to be covered by a business.

Warmoth is the best at what they do. Especially with bodies, they can charge what they want.

I don't mind about the up-charge aspect.  Warmoth can choose how they set their pricing structure, so I think its no big deal.

I suspect they might want to discourage really non-standard features, as they will be harder to sell in the case of a product return.

Back