New User use of site

I wouldn't choose a 7/8 scale Warmoth unless you desire a smaller overall size. If somewhere down the line you want to change the neck (scale, woods, etc.), you will be limited to the 7/8 Warhead neck (which Warmoth does'nt have much showcase selection for).

As far as the differences between the 25.5" and 24.75" scales:

25.5":
- More space between frets means longer reaches for chords and intervals
- More space between frets means more finger space between higher frets
- Longer string length means slightly more tension
  * More strength required for bends, chords, etc.
  * Better suited for drop tunings
  * Slightly harder attack (more punch)
  * Slightly more resonance and sustain
  * Subsequently, slightly more brightness and less warmth

24.75":
- Less space between frets means shorter reaches for chords and intervals
- Less space between frets means less finger space between higher frets
- Shorter string length means slightly less tension
  * Less strength required for bends, chords, etc.
  * Less suited for drop tunings
  * Slightly softer attack (less punch)
  * Slightly less resonance and sustain
  * Subsequently, slightly less brightness and more warmth

Neither is necessarily superior. For starters, compare Teles (25.5") to Les Pauls (24.75"). They both have fixed bridges and can both have rosewood fretboards. The fewer variables other than the scale length will be the best way to choose. Focus on comparing the overall feel and the acoustic tone first, as pickups will obviously affect the electric tone.

Once you have chosen, remember that Warmoth only makes the 24.75" scale with a double expanding truss rod construction. Less options, but the double truss is ultimately the best option anyway.

Alfang said:
Back to one of the OPs points

We need to have the same questions asked again and again by new people or this entire forum just turns into one big FAQ.

Some of the topics asked here have been answered many times, and many of the people giving the answers, asked the original question years ago

That's exactly why my first question was whether or not there was a Newbie section...  all my questions were basic clarification questions of information thats on the Warmoth site... just a little ambiguous ....  neck lengths ... what works with what etc...

If there was an "All Newbies start here, no exceptions"  FAQ link that had all the basic stuff it would cut down on clogging up the general area...  I just got on here yesterday ... so maybe I just haven't found it yet....

Back