New Tele day! (Warning, some gold hardware)

crash

Just finished another one.

I bought the zebrawood body on Ebay.  You can see from the first picture, I did a lot to it to get it to the final product.  I was planning on building more of a "traditional" tele, but then changed my mind as I was finishing it with Tru oil.  I routed a humbucker for the neck, made a belly cutout, and did a pseudo-carved top.  I couldn't go too far in with the carved top as it is a top route with a control plate.  But still, I like it.  It looks different.

Specs:
2 piece zebrawood body
Gogoh bridge with brass compensated saddles
Seymour Duncan Lil 59 bridge pup
Seymour Duncan Jazz neck pup
4 way switch
push/pull volume that splits both pup to single coil.
push/pull tone that puts the lil 59 in parallel

Warmoth neck 25.5" scale, 10-16" radius
Goncalo alves neck
Pau Ferro fingerboard
59 Roundback profile
GD6100 frets
Cream dots

I love the pickups for this.  The Lil 59 has a lot of midrange.  The Jazz splits to a single coil better than just about any other humbucker I have heard.  The Jazz sounds like a brighter version of a PAF.  This guitar sounds great through my CM Plexitone clone

From ebay after sanding.
Afterfinalsanding_zpscbc1e9c0.jpg

After Tru oil.  Shiny!!
Zebratele2_zps68067444.jpg

Zebratele1_zpsd8a4680f.jpg

Close ups to show the carve top better
Zebratele3_zpsbf5832a7.jpg

Zebratele4_zpsc05497dd.jpg

Love the grain pattern on the sides
Zebratele5_zps0bfea31f.jpg

Zebratele6_zps9953fb0b.jpg

Another one where I still need to come up with an idea for one of Doug's neckplates.

WOW! The oil REALLY 'woody'd-up' that body!! Looks great--gold looks just fine with that tone of color.

Niiiiice. I love it. Very classy guitar!  :eek:ccasion14:

I really have no desire at this point for a three saddle tele bridge. But the brass 3 saddles on a black ashtray looks so class that I want one anyway. It's a look the 6 saddle bridges don't really pull off. Not calling em ugly, just .. lacks that zing the brass n black 3 saddles have.

Thanks guys!  I have to thank Cagey for introducing me to that sanding technique on the neck.  I went up to 3000 grit and that Goncalo alves neck is so damn smooth.  This may become my favorite guitar.  It seems it can do it all: The lil 59 with high gain can do metal.  In parallel mode, it sound very much like a traditional twangy tele.  The Jazz is sooo sweet in the neck position.

Love it! Love the sculpting on the body. Love the wood choices on both neck and body. Love the black and gold hardware. Nicely executed guitar. You should be dang proud of that one!

Gorgeous! I really like that bevel on the top. The color scheme is good, and the oil came out excellent. I could see that becoming a favorite very easily.

Wowza  :eek:  What a great finish  :headbang: 

I'm curious on the angled pickup ring thou  :icon_scratch:

Colour combo looks very stylish indeed :icon_thumright:

From flebay - to majestic .......

crash said:
After Tru oil.  Shiny!!
Zebratele2_zps68067444.jpg

looks very good!!
great job on the finish!! did you french polish it with the tru oil?

Eric Banjitar said:
Wow! Stunning work.  Great job.

It is, isn't it? It's not often you see an oil finish that looks that good. If you didn't know any better, you'd call it poly or very well-done lacquer. Then, on top of Zebra? He's got a lotta hours in that thing.

Cagey said:
Eric Banjitar said:
Wow! Stunning work.  Great job.

It is, isn't it? It's not often you see an oil finish that looks that good. If you didn't know any better, you'd call it poly or very well-done lacquer. Then, on top of Zebra? He's got a lotta hours in that thing.

Yes, a lot of hours.  I bought the body almost two years ago.  No grain filler, just sand paper and tru oil.  It took about 10 tries at that final coat.

Back