New Strat Build (Finished)

War_in_D

Been a looong time since I had a "real" Strat in the fold.  You know, three singles with a non locking trem so I decided to build one.  Loosely based on the SRV Strat, mainly in the looks department with the gold hardware and Pau Ferro fret board.  Warmoth finished Swamp Ash w/quilt maple body out of the Screamin' Deals section, paired up with a plain jane modern maple/Pau Ferro 10-16" radius 22 fret neck with Sperzel ream and black Tusq nut.  Trem is a Wilkinson Contemporary 5+1 with a pre-wired pickguard/pickup setup from Twilight Guitars with the Fender 57/62 set in it and of course.. Gold Sperzel lockers.

Body is coming along, got the cavities shielded and the trem, strap buttons and input jack put on.  Working with the tung oil on the neck and will finalize the attachment and wiring of the pickguard once I get the neck bolted to the body. 

Attachments

• Warmoth Strat .jpg
    Warmoth Strat .jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Warmoth Strat 2.jpg
    Warmoth Strat 2.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Warmoth Strat 3.jpg
    Warmoth Strat 3.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 29
classy af, dude, nice nice nice. I hope your build goes smooth, but there's always one obstacle. for me it was when john kasich tried to cancel Halloween. Anyway, with any luck you won't have anything like that impede your progress. keep on pickin' am i rite?

That's a handsome body you're cobbling together there.  Looking forward to seeing it fully configured with the neck. Congrats on a lovely part and on some nicely done work.

Thank you all for the kind words.  Much appreciated.  :eek:ccasion14:

My plan was to have the neck done by the end of the long weekend but the holiday, some unexpected/unplanned Black Friday shopping and grand kids got put on the front burner so I didn't even get started with the tung oil until today.  Before I attached the neck on my holder jig, I went ahead and mounted it and drilled the holes for the pickguard and got that attached to the body.  I didn't have any gold screws, so they are black for the time being.  Will order some gold ones though to replace eventually...  maybe.  :icon_scratch:

Here is the showcase shot of the neck. I would take pics of the actual neck, but there is blue masking tape covering the fretboard. lol 

Attachments

• Warmoth neck.jpg
    Warmoth neck.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 12
That's a beautiful neck. It's really hard to beat W's photography on things. Looking forward to seeing the completed guitar.

Few things satisfy quite like a Strat. That's gonna be a fine one, I'm sure.

Thank you all again!  This was my first experience with Warmoth finished bodies, but I fear (for the sake of my pocketbook) it will not be the last.  I've done several oil finishes on figured tops that turned out really well as well as some solid paint colors, but that last attempt I did with the dyed finish on figured maple and clear coat have me realizing that it's a lot easier and probably more cost effective in the long run to just buy a figured top body already finished out if that's what you're after.  Not saying I would never try it again, but when you can find them in the showcase (or Screamin' Deals) section at a decent price when compared to the time, cost and effort involved.. It's a no-brainer.

And the finished product.. Sorry about the darkness of some of the photos, but my phone camera pretty much sucks. LOL

Attachments

• Strat4.jpg
    Strat4.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Strat3.jpg
    Strat3.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Strat5.jpg
    Strat5.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Strat7.jpg
    Strat7.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Strat6.jpg
    Strat6.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 7
War_in_D said:
And the finished product.. Sorry about the darkness of some of the photos, but my phone camera pretty much sucks. LOL
Very nice work. That makes me want a strat :icon_thumright:

Back