New Pedalboard

Thanks for posting, great shots.

Are there no switches on the expression pedals?

Is the one assigned to the wah functioning like a switchless wah?

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Thanks for posting, great shots. Are there no switches on the expression pedals? Is the one assigned to the wah functioning like a switchless wah?

Thanks.

The pedals are available with or without switches, and I only bought one "with", as it was used with something else before I mounted it on this board. With the AxeFx, you don't necessarily need switches. There are parameters you can set where the effect the pedal controls is automatically engaged when the pedal moves (changes value), or is disengaged at some predetermined point (usually toe fully up or down, but it's adjustable). Pretty handy for some stuff. The wah, for instance, never needs to be turned on... if you start flexing the thing, it's automatically engaged. Stop fiddling with it, and it turns off. On/off latency can be adjusted as well, to suit your style. Or, you could use the integrated switch if your pedal has one. It's incredibly versatile.

DangerousR6 said:
I have that same carpet.... :icon_biggrin:

It's pretty sturdy and forgiving stuff. Only problem is if you drop a screw or a spring or something, it's a major pain in the shorts to find it.

DangerousR6 said:
Nice pedal board tho... :headbang1:

Thanks. I'm not getting nearly the use out of it that I could be, but it'll come. As I mentioned earlier, the software for all this stuff is sorta in a state of flux, so I haven't been messing with it too much. I just use the presets where they are. Probably a mistake, as I'll have to climb a fresh learning curve once I adjust everything to where I want it, but whaddaya gonna do? Won't be the first or last time I've had to do that.

Doughboy said:
Cagey said:
Nice! It's good to have things cleaned up and predictable, isn't it?

For years I had pedals on top of my amp & on the floor. Cables everywhere, having them fall of the amp & get chipped etc. A giant mess. I have no idea why I didn't do this earlier.

Back to your stuff...

How do you like that Memory Man box? I lusted after one of those for years back when they first came out, but it was always out of range of my budget. Of course, this was back in the '70s when they first came out, and I just wasn't in a position to buy a floor pedal that cost as much as that one did. They were a couple hundred bucks even back then, which after adjusting for inflation is about $840 today.

Isn't the Federal Reserve Bank great?

I did manage to latch onto a Maestro Echoplex for next to nothing, though, so it wasn't like I had to go without <grin>

Cagey said:
It's pretty sturdy and forgiving stuff. Only problem is if you drop a screw or a spring or something, it's a major pain in the shorts to find it.

Carboard. A stiff piece of cardboard. Run it across the carpet and stuff will bounce.

I am the master of thing retrieval from that carpet. We had the same stuff at Jackson. :laughing11:

Cagey said:
Doughboy said:
Cagey said:
Nice! It's good to have things cleaned up and predictable, isn't it?

For years I had pedals on top of my amp & on the floor. Cables everywhere, having them fall of the amp & get chipped etc. A giant mess. I have no idea why I didn't do this earlier.

Back to your stuff...

How do you like that Memory Man box? I lusted after one of those for years back when they first came out, but it was always out of range of my budget. Of course, this was back in the '70s when they first came out, and I just wasn't in a position to buy a floor pedal that cost as much as that one did. They were a couple hundred bucks even back then, which after adjusting for inflation is about $840 today.

Isn't the Federal Reserve Bank great?

I did manage to latch onto a Maestro Echoplex for next to nothing, though, so it wasn't like I had to go without <grin>

I like the Deluxe MM a lot. Very 70s organic vibe. However, if you don't care about the Chorus & Vibe portion too much, I think the MXR Carbon Copy delay is as good, as is the Wampler Faux tape delay.

I also really like the new Strymon delay pedal, which, imo is the best analog sounding digital pedal out there with so many more options.

Cagey said:
I'm not using scenes yet; like many, I've been patiently waiting on AxeEdit TNP before I start reprogramming everything, as it's going to be a game-changer and I don't want to invest a great deal of effort into something I know I'm going to toss.

The controller pedals are Wah, Volume, unused, and Pitch Bend.

The FS-6 switches are intended for the looper. Had to modify those to give them power on/off switches, as they have batteries in them and there's no power on the board to eliminate them and they're always on as long as something is plugged into them. Can't have that, and can't really unplug them, so...
Many Thanks Cagey. I am in the same boat waiting on the new AxeEdit. Right now my Ultra is still my production rig, while I get used to the II. I have about 10 key patches I need to figure out how to recreate in the II.

Where did you source your board? Also would like any details on that FS-6 mod.

TBurst Std said:
Where did you source your board? Also would like any details on that FS-6 mod.

The board enclosure started off as a CNB PDC-410J pedalboard case from Rondo*.  I modified it slightly by adding a 1/4" thick sheet of architectural panel, which is composed of lexan sandwiched between a couple sheets of aluminum. I drilled holes in that to mount the MFC and the CC pedals using the screwholes their little rubber feet were held on with. I drilled 6 holes through that sheet and the case and mounted it with 1/4-20 machine screws and nuts. The FSB-6 switches are mounted with velcro, as they need to be easily removable for battery service. A dozen 1/4" Neutrik connectors and a length of shielded 2 conductor cable wired it up. I added a Neutrik Ethercon NE8FF cable adaptor to transition the RJ-45 connector on the MFC to a more robust version of the same thing, so I could use a cable that wouldn't get killed the first time I pulled it out...

69472299-260x260-0-0_Neutrik+Neutrik+Black+NE8FF+Ethercon+Coupler+Bag.jpg
ethercon1-xx.jpg

Then put the same connector adaptor on the back of the AxeFx rack. That ends up being the only connection to the pedalboard, which is nice. No power, no guitar cords, nothing else.

My only concern now is the handle on the case. The thing ends up at about 40 lbs., so I'm thinking I may have to put a backup plate behind the handle, and maybe even change the handle itself. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't feel like it's robust enough.

IMG_2369_Sm.JPG

*Note: if you're even thinking about getting one, they have them in stock now so you may want to strike while the iron's hot. Their stock is notoriously inconsistent.

Doughboy said:
I finally got my act together & got a pedalboard. No more cables & pedals strewn all over the place.

Incidentally, if you haven't got a case for your board yet, you might want to check out the selection here. They have a wide variety of the things similar to the one shown above at very reasonable prices.

My pedal board would be mind numbingly boring to a lot of you guys. I'm a very simple, simple person when it comes to effects. I have a Wah, EVH Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy delay, and an MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus. That's it. I use the high gain of the amp for my distortion.
MULLY
Oh, and my Line6 G30 wireless system.....which is a Godsend.

Reverbulator? Sounds like something Early Cuyler would use...

tumblr_ma7xvol8lP1qa0qyjo1_500.jpg

Don't touch the decay!

Cagey said:
... . I added a Neutrik Ethercon NE8FF cable adaptor to transition the RJ-45 connector on the MFC to a more robust version of the same thing, so I could use a cable that wouldn't get killed the first time I pulled it out...

??? Youre Axefx controller uses ethernet?  mine is MIDI...

Mayfly said:
Cagey said:
... . I added a Neutrik Ethercon NE8FF cable adaptor to transition the RJ-45 connector on the MFC to a more robust version of the same thing, so I could use a cable that wouldn't get killed the first time I pulled it out...

He has the AXE II. That is some of the differences. I got the II not to long ago. Yes worth the upgrade if you can swing it. I am still digesting all the stuff it does that the Ultra doesn;t

Mayfly said:
Cagey said:

It appears to have both, but I don't know that the Ethernet connectors mean it's using that protocol. They may have just decided a single connector/cable for communications and power would be more convenient than a pair of MIDI cables along with a power cable, and decided to use that hardware.

Problem is, while CAT-5 cables with RJ-45 connectors are inexpensive and ubiquitous, they aren't very robust. So, a common mod is to install the transition devices I pictured above. That solution will take a lot more abuse. The design of the connector is such that even if the better cable gets trashed somehow, you can still use a standard CAT-5 cable in an emergency. So, it's not like you're tied into a unique connector situation that'll leave you high and dry in a pinch.

On the latest (Mark II) version of controller and AxeFx, they've changed those connectors to the panel-mount Neutrik version, so you don't have to do the mod any more.

Cagey said:
Mayfly said:
Cagey said:

It appears to have both, but I don't know that the Ethernet connectors mean it's using that protocol. They may have just decided a single connector/cable for communications and power would be more convenient than a pair of MIDI cables along with a power cable, and decided to use that hardware.

Problem is, while CAT-5 cables with RJ-45 connectors are inexpensive and ubiquitous, they aren't very robust. So, a common mod is to install the transition devices I pictured above. That solution will take a lot more abuse. The design of the connector is such that even if the better cable gets trashed somehow, you can still use a standard CAT-5 cable in an emergency. So, it's not like you're tied into a unique connector situation that'll leave you high and dry in a pinch.

On the latest (Mark II) version of controller and AxeFx, they've changed those connectors to the panel-mount Neutrik version, so you don't have to do the mod any more.

You know - you can power the pedalboard through MIDI as well - just use a 7 pin cable.  This is what I do.

I'll check the back of mine and see if there's an RJ45 on there.

Back