New Neck Clapton V too sharp?

So I just opened my box with my tele maple neck unfinished, clapton soft V shape. and the V shape is very hard at the nut, and softer as you go down. I am sorta torn between loving it or sanding the hard V to match the softness that I like.  Am I wrong or is this how they always are? I dont wanna have to sand anything but man its a peak. I waited 6 weeks for this one and I dont wanna send it back and wait 6 more. Help!

install it and try it for a while, you may like it. They always feel way different until installed and strung up.

might be helpful to post a picture, so folks can see if it looks grossly different from theirs

It's not going to be out of spec from anybody else's; more than likely the OP never played a V neck before; they're not for everyone and you either love them or hate them. I use the occasional Musikraft neck in builds as they make a hard symmetical V based on the original '57 design; .97 thick at both the 1st and 12th fret.

In general, you may tend to like the V necks better if you are a "thumb behind" rather than a "thumb over".

Jurassicmonkey - Try throwing that on your body and playing it before the grace period to return it is over; might want to try it out, it DOES take some getting used to if you've never played one before

Well I will finish it and install it before i go ahead and sand it. But I have played a v neck, the Clarence White neck with the banjo tuners. well i played one and couldnt put it down. I just thought that had a more rounded peak of a v then the sharpness.  Will putting the coats of lacquer smooth out that edge maybe? well thanks for your replies everyone.  And maybe I will be more relieved to know that the clapton specs are the same as the fender clapton/buddyguy/clarencewhite necks.

jackthehack said:
Jurassicmonkey - Try throwing that on your body and playing it before the grace period to return it is over; might want to try it out, it DOES take some getting used to if you've never played one before

Point of order here:  Necks need to be in as-new condition for returns.  A neck that has been installed and played would not be as-new.  Something to bear in mind.

If you're not going to go ahead and return it, I'd say don't sand it down right away. It didn't take me very long to get used to it, and it wasn't nearly as hard or sharp as the G&Ls that I tried out. I think it's really comfortable.

I had that with the boat-neck on my projects (can be seen in the gallery under N. Backer). They were a bit too much V-shaped, so I flattened it a tiny bit, and my new project has a fat-back.

Just for the record. project number 3 is a koa top, walnut back les paul, with a ziricote neck and macassar ebony fingerboard.  :evil4: :cool01:

Back