New Job (finally) = new project

NQbass7

Last spring I left my job in the Midwest and spent the summer travelling, intending to find a new job out on the West Coast when I finished travelling in September. Well, it took me a while, but I finally got an official offer for a programming job out in San Diego. Even better, they're giving me a signing bonus! I'm pretty happy to finally be getting back to work again (well, not so much the work, but the money part), and the job is pretty much my dream job.

This past Christmas my mom and grandpa both chipped in and picked up a BK on BK Les Paul body from the showcase for me, so I'll be using the signing bonus to pick up an Ebony/Wenge neck and the rest of the parts for that pretty quick. But... the signing bonus is good enough that I should have plenty left over for another project as well  :toothy10: so it's time to start planning that I guess. Trying to decide if I want to do the Strat, the bass, or the nylon-string L5S next...

Just thought I'd share the good news, especially since it means I'll probably be getting some showcase pieces out of your way to save you the trouble :laughing7:

Good for you! That's an exciting combination of relief and anticipation for you.

Now you just gotta find accommodations in the most expensive city in the most expensive county in the most expensive state in the most expensive country in the world. Don't spend up that bonus on toys just yet... <grin>

Cagey said:
Good for you! That's an exciting combination of relief and anticipation for you.

Now you just gotta find accommodations in the most expensive city in the most expensive county in the most expensive state in the most expensive country in the world. Don't spend up that bonus on toys just yet... <grin>
Yeah tell me about it. And I gotta get a place big enough to store all these Warmoth's I'm gonna be building, so that brings the price up too...  :icon_jokercolor:

The job is pretty good though. It will probably overall be a drop in living standard (I'm moving out of one of the lower cost-of-living cities in the country), but it should be a fun change anyway. More of a music scene for sure, so I can finally get a little more use out of these Warmoth's other than the bedroom. Plus I'll have great weather for the outdoor shots when I finish each one  :laughing11:

Congrats and welcome to SandyEggo. I'd be interested to hear what you're working on since I'm in a similar field.

Cagey said:
You're coming at a good time though, really. The housing market here has been depressed for a few years and we're just sitting at about the same value for the last three or four years.

But for the price, you can't beat the weather, and the access to the beach, and the mountains and the culture in general. Just don't think about being a Chargers fan...  :doh:

Hey, bro, congrats and welcome to socal!  Let me know if anything happens and you need a new IT gig.  I have loads of contacts here.

Atta boy!!!  Trust me--I can COMPLETELY empathize with you. I had a stretch from November 2009 to February 2011 where I didn't have a full-time job. I was working as a contractor for the state of Michigan on their mobile office project for the state police when Pitney-Bowes recruited me and extended an offer of a full-time job as a product service technician for the western half of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. If an envelope is stuffed or mail is metered, I'm going to be the guy to make sure it stays running!

The full impact of the job didn't sink in until I was on a project the following week at the State Police's St. Ignace post (St. Ignace is the town where the north end of the Mackinac Bridge is anchored, about 50-60 miles south of Sault Ste. Marie), and one of the other three contractors for the state told me that the contract was being terminated prematurely, and he had received his two-weeks' notice. I had submitted my two-weeks' the week prior, so they felt no reason to call me.  It's like knowing if you were standing in a particular spot five minutes prior to the gun going off, you would have been hit.

Enjoy San Diego my man, but if you live there, and you're in IT, you're in the wrong field. According to comedian Lewis Black, the easiest job in the world is being a meteorologist for a TV station in San Diego, California. You get paid around $50k to go in front of the camera and say "Today's going to be NICE!"

Graffiti62 said:
...  the easiest job in the world is being a meteorologist for a TV station in San Diego, California. You get paid around $50k to go in front of the camera and say "Today's going to be NICE!"

+100!!!

Not to brag or anything, but right now:  (March 22nd, 2012 at 11AM local) 68DegF and one, two, three, (I'll even count that little one waaaay over there) four clouds in the sky.

See you at the beach!

Thanks to all!

Yeah, the weather is part of the reason I'm heading out there. I wanted to be out that way last October and skip the winter here altogether, but winter was nice and didn't get too bad up here. And even now, the weather has been 80's and sunny for the past few days (not today though).

Honestly, I'm most excited to just have income again so I can get back to some Warmoth projects, and to have my own place again so I can get working on my effects pedals projects too.

Back