New here, and unknown Warmoth neck!

thork86

Hi everyone, i just picked up a nice Fender Jazz bass with an older Warmoth neck. I have no idea what model of neck this is though, because this style isn't shown on the Warmoth website. It is a Warmoth and though I haven't taken the neck off (not a tech guy!) I've been told the serial number is 160, and that it has the Warmoth logo on the end of the neck. Here's a couple pics of the headstock, to me it looks like an upside down Thunderbird-style headstock. It has 21 frets on a rosewood fingerboard.

bassneck2.jpg

bassneck1.jpg

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Welcome! Not necessary it NEED to be a Warmoth shape... it could be a Fender headstock that the guy make a custom one, or a custom request...

I've only seen a couple, but i very well could be,  just unbolt the neck. it looks very cool, i wish they'd bring it back.
i think its called the warhead. i heard the exact head except for guitar, called the warhead.

yeah,, thats the same as the 4 thunderbird necks they had a while ago.

its still looks awesome every time i see it.

Looks like a 1-off custom head to me...

The Warhead has a "swoopy", not straight bottom edge, and our T-bird necks were all tiltbacks and had a beveled edge.  Most of them had 5-piece backs as well, as they were made from 8-string neck blanks.

Thanks very much guys! I'll take it off the body soon, see what's stamped on there.

is there any way to email pics to Warmoth or call them up and see what it could be? If they offered it or if it's been modified by a former owner.

thanks again for the help! it's connected to a Jbass body (fender mexico), rio grande pickups and CTS pots, gotoh hardware, it's a sweet bass! im a guitar player and got the bass on the cheap just so i can have a bass, but man basses are fun to play!  :headbang:

thork86 said:
Thanks very much guys! I'll take it off the body soon, see what's stamped on there.
is there any way to email pics to Warmoth or call them up and see what it could be? If they offered it or if it's been modified by a former owner.
I work at Warmoth, and I don't recognize it as any stock shape.

If the finish looks pretty good, it's likely that we shaped the head as a 1-off custom.  If there's a 3-digit number that's not more than 500 then it was built to order for a customer and not built on spec for the Showcase.  Unfortunately, if it's more than a few months old the production number won't tell us any more than that because we roll over and recycle those numbers.  It may also have the fret size written in pen on the heel, and possibly the exact nut width written in pencil.

Oh hey, then you're the man to talk to! haha.

I will unbolt the neck tomorrow and see what's up with it.

So it is possible that it's a one-off made for someone? As long as it's stamped Warmoth and you can recognize the number 160 as being a Warmoth-possible neck, that's good enough for me!

Thanks again, I'll look for what you describe tomorrow.

yep, its just got a plan warmoth turtle logo, no words or anything, with "160" penciled in at the end of the neck.

i was too excited to notice any other marks, but its a big, fat neck and it seems to be a slightly different scale than say, a Jazz bass neck, little shorter.

NonsenseTele said:
I think this is the Warhead:
wg2wl0.jpg

Yup.  That would be the Warhead.  I'll try to get a shot of my Pbass with a Warhead neck and post it.

-Eric.

Ok, I gotta ask this. is the warhead basically a fender headstock with an extra scallop taken out of it?

I think it is a bitchen look, i like it a lot.  I also like the green that everyone is using as an example here.

I wish they would add it to their list of standard headstocks.  I guess I should start a thread in The Suggestion Box.

Back