New forumite, first build, need advice

ZeyerGTR

Hi all - new to the forum.  I did do a couple of searches and it seems like all the "first build" threads were focused on wood combinations, not building the guitar itself, so... hopefully you all aren't tired of answering this:

I've read a lot of "Warmoth build" threads on other sites, and one thing that's come up regularly is that "you can get great results if you have some luthier-type skills."  I've done my own setups for years, and I know how to solder but that's about it.  My impression is that Warmoth does all the hole drilling, and will even mount the bridge studs, so it seems more like putting together a model.  I don't expect any sawdust on the floor.  =)

I'm not going to be doing finishing myself, so I'm not sure what I can really screw up here.  That said, I'm sure there's a few things I can screw up!  Is there anything I should be aware of before dropping a bunch of money and get in over my head?  That's my main concern. "If you know what you're doing you can build an awesome guitar from Warmoth."  What does "if you know what you're doing" mean in your experience?

-----

On to the build itself: I like the tone & vibe of traditional semi-hollows, but I like the sleeker, smaller body of a strat so here's what I'm thinking:

Mahogany body, maple cap, 2 f-hole chambered strat body
Mahogany neck/RW fretboard, 24 3/4th scale conversion
Fixed bridge, not sure which type (suggestions for this body?)
2 HBs, not sure which ones yet (suggestions?)

Well, if you 've been doing your own setups and your own soldering for a long time, you should probably do fine.

A few things that are always good to keep in mind:

1.  Have a plan.  If you don't know where you're going, how will you know when you've gotten there?  How will you know if you've departed from the path toward what you're after?

2.  Go slow.  Think it through before you apply a tool to body or neck.

3.  More concrete advice:  Make sure your tuning machine anchor screw holes are big enough, and that you use wax on your screws.  Soap will do the trick in a pinch, but wax is chemically inert and therefore preferable.  You can get a big enough chunk of beeswax to last you virtually forever for a few bucks at the hardware store.

4.  Likewise for your neck:  Wax your screws.  It makes life much easier, and split lumber much less likely.

5.  Don't use power tools on your guitar if you can at all avoid it.  Fiskars makes a nice hand-cranked drill that does nicely for drilling pilot holes for tuner screws, pickguard screws, etc.

6.  Use the correct tool for the job.

To me "if you know what you are doing" means the following:-
1) take your time, don't rush it
2) love and care, take your time don't rush it
3) had a bad day, in a bad mood? don't even think of going anywhere near it

You are assembling a kit of parts. It is, for want of a better word, "easy".
Are you a "handy" person? Ever changed the oil on your car or motorcycle? Painted your house?
Do you have a good quality screwdriver? Do you know where to buy good quality screws to screw the neck on?
Cutting your own fret slots, fitting the frets, filing them to the proper shape etc. THAT is hard work and practice makes perfect. I ended up learning to play fretless bass guitar because I found installing the frets so difficult! Some years later I bought a very expensive fretless bass to replace my home built one. I still have it and still play it.

Humbuckers, well, take your choice.
PAFs because they are the starting point and good ones (that need not be expensive) sound good.
I bought a pair of Seymour Duncan P-Rails and I like them very very much. Youtube will find you many sound samples.
HOT humbuckers are available if that floats your boat.

One more note about hole-drilling:

On necks:
Warmoth will drill the holes for the tuner shafts.

They will drill the holes at the heel of the neck to accept the screws attaching the neck to the body.  If you order a Floyd locking nut setup, they'll drill the holes for that as well.

Warmoth will NOT drill holes for tuning machine anchor screws.  My earlier comment about making sure the anchor screw holes the right size and waxing is REALLY IMPORTANT.  Many a n00b has cursed his own mother for whelping him into the world when he broke a tuner screw off because the hole was too tight.

On bodies:

Warmoth will drill holes for bridge studs, or to attach bridge plates for surface-mount bridges. If you want your pots in standard configurations, they'll do that as well.  They will not drill holes in rear-rout bodies for non-standard switch and pickup placement.  They will not drill holes for strap buttons.  They will not drill holes in bodies for pickguard installation.  If you are doing wood-mount pickups, or P90's, you're on your own with that one, too.  They will not drill holes to anchor output jack plates or Tele control plates. 

The order of operations for Telecasters is:  Install the bridge, then the pickguard, then the control plate.  That way everything will line up pretty and symmetrical and flush.  Tape stuff in place so it doesn't shift on you as you use a punch to mark where the holes go.

If you need to drill holes for pots and/or switches, use a drill press if you can, and a Forstner bit.  Drill from the top, not the inside of the cavity.  Use a sacrificial backing block.  This will help you avoid tearout.  This is the exception to the general rule that you should not attack your body with power tools for basic setup tasks.  If you get advanced enough to cut new holes for pickups, add new binding, etc., well, that's a whole 'nother biscuit.

Virtually everything I've written on this thread I learned from Cagey, CB, Tonar, StubHead, line6man, Mayfly, and other very generous folks on this board. 

Now, as for pickups:

I have a set of PRS Santana II pups that are very, very nice.  If you can get 'em, get 'em.   

I've had good luck with my Roadhouse P90's, but if your heart is set on humbuckers, I cannot speak knowledgeably about Roadhouse's offerings on that score.  However, the brains behind Roadhouse is another participant on this board, going by TroubledTreble, and he is very, very responsive to your attempts to express what you need.

^  what they said.

If you're not doing the finish yourself, it should be relatively easy - especially if you're patient, methodical, and any good with a soldering iron.

As for a hardtail bridge, I've always wanted to see someone put a TOM bridge + trapeze tailpiece on a hollow body strat.  TOM bridges can be found many places, and you can get a trapeze tailpiece here.  Yes, it's weird & no one's ever done it - that's why you should do it.  :icon_thumright:

I have a great deal of respect for anyone who attempts and pulls off the assembly and setup of their own Warmoth parts guitar. I don't trust myself for this, and am not too proud to farm out this task to professionals. I've had two built so far, and am extremely happy with the results. Just one of the critical things that techs take care of: getting the nut right (I think Warmoth is conservative and leaves their nuts on the high side; and one of mine had the slots cut "all over the map").

ZeyerGTR said:
I'm not going to be doing finishing myself, so I'm not sure what I can really screw up here.

There's not much more I can add to the excellent advice here, but I'm curious what you mean by the above. If you're considering having the finish done by somebody other than Warmoth, I'd advise against it unless you want something they won't provide such as a nitrocellulose or oil-based finish. Even then, if you throw money at them, you'd be surprised at what they can do. They're a talented lot.

Warmoth's finishes are superb. I've seen a lot of finishes, and theirs are second to none. For what they charge, it's a bargain where you're the winner by far. I certainly wouldn't finish a body for what they charge, and I don't know anyone who would. It may seem expensive when you add it in the builder, but trust me: it's well worth it. Not only are they excellent, they're responsible. If it's not perfect, it's on them and they back it up. As many can attest, when you get your first body you'll smile at the sky. They do very good work and it's not only well worth the money, it's false economy to think you can do better.

If it is of help to anyone I am currently putting together my first Warmoth, I have a thread here.

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg332786#msg332786

The last jobs I did were fret levelling and mounting the pickups in the pickguard. I have a lot of photos but haven't added to the thread. I am more than willing to post them and my thoughts & experiences etc for the rest of the build.

If you think it will be of help let me know and I will keep and get the work in progress diary up to date.

I'm curious what you mean by the above. If you're considering having the finish done by somebody other than Warmoth
I meant to say I'm ordering a pre-finished body from Warmoth.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Ditto to everything up there.  I was in the same boat in that I was a player and did setups and could replace pickups but not a woodworker. 

I'll add one thing though.  There's a multi-part You Tube series about assembling a warmoth strat that has some great advice.  I got the bug and am on my third build right now and I've gotten some great tips from that. It's worth setting aside some time and watching.  If you do a search for Warmoth Strat Build you'll see it.

My only other advice is to take your time, don't rush anything, take your time, and take your time.  Also, take your time.

ZeyerGTR said:
I'm curious what you mean by the above. If you're considering having the finish done by somebody other than Warmoth
I meant to say I'm ordering a pre-finished body from Warmoth.

Good for you. You won't be sorry.

The YouTube series KaiserSoze mentioned is good, albeit long due to lack of editing. It starts here, and goes on for I think about 35 parts, each about 10 minutes long. Well worth watching.

Take your time but honestly, it doesn't take a lot of time......

I've done two and both only took a few hours to assemble and they came out great.  As good or better than my Gibby or Fender.  The quality and completness of the parts you get from Warmoth are great 

My one suggestion is to make a list of the parts you will need and go over it 2, 3 4.....  10 times.  There is nothing worse than having everyting complete but not having the one correct screw, nut or washer to complete the job.  Oh and watch the videos on Youtube and read the threads here.

As for pickups, honeslty I used to diferent manufactures that didn't even need soldering.  EMG and DiMarzio both have some very nice packages that are solderless.  Makes it even easier to complete the build and modify later. 

OK one last WARNING.  This is very addictive.  Once you start be prepared to order your second!!!!!

stratamania said:
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg332786#msg332786

If you think it will be of help let me know and I will keep and get the work in progress diary up to date.

This! I really enjoy the build threads especially on the instruments that I would never think of building for myself.

@ZeyerGTR
I'm the type that gathers parts over a six month period so that I can review and re-review what I've got planned. Others tend to grab everything in one swoop and build as soon as everything is on hand. Either way will work, but definitely make sure you double-check that you've got all your parts before you start each phase. There's nothing worse than getting started on something and discovering you're missing a required part. That can only lead to a rush job and that's NFG.

If you're fairly comfortable with tools, you should be fine building a guitar. Warmoth's quality is such that all the pieces fit very well together. While not a piece of cake, if you're comfortable with assembling Ikea-type furniture, then you'll be fine.

It looks like you've got a really nice and unique instrument planned. My biggest piece of advice (other than echo-ing what everyone above me has said: Go Slow!) is to go with the Fender standard flat-mount Strat bridge. Can't go wrong with that, and they're available in just about any color you would want.

One last thing, don't hesitate to come and ask advice. There are hundreds of years of experience on the board and most are very willing to help. Reluctant Builder did a guitar a year or so ago and asked tons of questions. There's lots of good advice in that thread. (The link to that thread escapes me at the moment...)

Good luck and definitely keep up a build thread!

Back