New Build Plan - any thoughts?

Simon D

Started seriously planning my next build after playing my first since the summer and loving every second of it. The neck is the best profile i've ever played, and I now want a compound radius fretboard on every guitar I own (which I'm sure someone on here told me would happen!)

So, the plan: VW Carved top - black korina back and flame maple top, with recessed Wilkinson, LP control layout and 2 humbuckers (Probably Bareknuckles), contoured heel, tummy cut. This is where I run into the first issue - colour. I'm torn between a dyed black top, something like this:

VW-mock-up-1.jpg

Or, Warmoth's new fireburst finish, which looks fantastic on a tight flame, as shown by this (couldn't even get close with the online guitar builder) http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=VWP37&menuItem=10&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&finish_filter=125

I intend for the back to be done clear, so that's not an issue.

The other issue is neck wood. Fretboard will be ebony, but I can't decide between wenge or black korina for the back. Does anyone have any experience with either of these on a black korina body? Any help/advice/suggestions welcome. Cheers, Simon

Lots of details there but what do you want it to sound like?  It would look great with either neck wood. Note: black korina for a neck is limited availability.  How about white korina instead?

-Eric.

All sounds great. I vote for a raw rosewood neck with ebony board and some kind of exotic inlays. Also Humbucker mounting rings would be great on the real thing.

Wyliee said:
Lots of details there but what do you want it to sound like?  It would look great with either neck wood. Note: black korina for a neck is limited availability.  How about white korina instead?

-Eric.

Cheers for the replies all. I got the idea about black korina for the neck after seeing one in the showcase, but that may well be gone by the time I order.

I knew there was something I meant to mention - sound!  :doh: I'm after a Mark Tremonti kind of sound - Les Paulish, but not a Les Paul. A little bit more clarity in the low end than an LP,  and a slightly brighter sound overall. I'll be using pickups with a decent amount of output, but nothing mad.

Quick question on wenge - I know it doesn't need finishing, but if I go with it, I'd want it finished for peace of mind (and the warranty). Is this something Warmoth can do?

Simon D said:
Quick question on wenge - I know it doesn't need finishing, but if I go with it, I'd want it finished for peace of mind (and the warranty). Is this something Warmoth can do?
It's better if someone from the company answers that, but I think those woods that Warmoth says they don't need finish have the same warranty as the maple & mahogany. Also, most woods can be finished but have you played an unfinished neck? I'm waiting my second unfinished neck. It's a luxury I paid extra to have it!

Hey Simon - Why don't you go for wenge, although it would be a CRIME to finish that neck. I have an unfinished bubinga neck and its sublime.

If you want to lay down a finish go for Korina. Warmoth will do that for you, they're currently finishing my Strat neck for me.

Good luck keep us updated.  :icon_thumright:

PS - check out this thread if you've not seen this chaps finish. Amazing...

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1637.0

Hmm, I'm liking the sound of an unfinished wenge neck, and not just because it'll save me $95!

The idea has taken a slightly different direction though. The woods remain the same, but the body style has changed. I'm now thinking of an LP style body, building my own version of a PRS Mark Tremonti Signature.  Here in the UK, a real PRS Tremonti will cost me $5,162, whereas I can build a Warmoth version, with slightly different (and in my opinion, more interesting) woods, with a neck profile I know I love, the right frets etc (I'm preaching to the converted here really!) for $2,286, inlcuding the mad import duty I get charged for bringing US-made stuff in, and assembly by a local pro guitar builder!

Hopefully, it'll look something like this:

LPStyle.jpg

I also have a question about the hollow option Warmoth offer. Does anyone have any experience with it - what sort of effect does it have on the tone compared to a completely solid body, and how much weight will it save on an LP body?
Thanks as always,
Si

Don't have any experience with a hollowed chambered LP, but have seen a post here -  from Gregg I think - that stated that unlike the hollow chambering in some other body styles, in the LP it mainly just lightens the body weight, rather than having much effect on tone.

Looking at the LP bodies in the Showcase, it's kind of hard to extrapolate how much weight would be taken out by the hollow option, as most of the unpainted bodies have that option and there's not much to compare them to; perhaps Gregg or someone else at Warmoth can comment, it would be some percentage of weight rather than a set amount as wood density/weight varies with each body blank....

Back