New body arrived

Pelagaard

I must have placed my order at exactly the right moment, because I just got the shipment notification for a custom body with finish that I placed on August 4th. Should be here on Friday the 13th, which is also a full moon, so we'll see how that shakes out...

That's relatively quick for a custom order. Looking forward to photos after it arrives. :icon_thumright:

Finally able to open the box. Here are some placeholder photos as I had it shipped to work, and I'm limited on what I can do here.

Swamp Ash Diamondback in satin Transparent Green
Two direct mount humbucker
2 vol, 2 tone, 3-way selector, top jack
Contoured heel
Gotoh 12 string bridge route

Looks like I got a fairly lightweight, 1-piece body without having to request it too. If there's a joint, I can't find it in the neck pocket, and the grain appears continuous through the finish.

I tweaked the 3rd photo to better show the grain.

I'm pairing this with a non-Warmoth roasted maple/rosewood neck (came down to headstock shape options), and planning to use a set of Dunable Grizzly pickups.

Attachments

• 0914190923.jpg
    0914190923.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 382
  • 0914190925a.jpg
    0914190925a.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 325
  • 0914190925g.jpg
    0914190925g.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 424
I purposely went with the satin option because a) it looked darker in the builder, and b) I don't have a satin finish and it looked interesting.

The builder really understood just how dark the satin transparent green really is. Depending on what it's near, and what the lighting is like, it almost looks matte black.  I definitely like it, but now I'm a little unsure how it'll look with the neck, which is on the lighter end of roasted.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Maybe the lighter neck will make a nice contrast.

Here's a thought. Does maple take ebonizing well? That might grey it down some.

Promising test fit. Not quite the press fit you usually get with a Warmoth neck and body, but there's full contact all around.

My fears about the roasted maple not being dark enough are gone.

Attachments

• 0916190746.jpg
    0916190746.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 397
  • 0916190747.jpg
    0916190747.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 312
I like that. It's dark enough to fit yet light enough to accent the green. You win!

You're making a twelve string ... awesome! :headbanging:  Where d'ja get the neck?

The neck came from Best Guitar Parts which is also the same company as Sound Guitar Works.  I wanted to go with Warmoth, but after multiple rounds of emails, it was made clear that they were unable/unwilling to do a custom shape 12-string (or even a paddlehead large enough), so I had to look elsewhere.

These guys have some interesting options, most of which I went with. For example, the neck has a 9.5-12 radius, and the coolest option that I went with, the profile transitions from a soft V at the nut to a chunky D from the 12th fret onwards.

I've never dealt with them. I checked their site from your link and it looks like they have some nice options. I like that A12 headstock shape. How is their fret work?

The ends will need more work than a Warmoth, but they're otherwise fine. The fretboard isn't a think either, but the neck itself is very comfortable.

The compound back contour (soft V to chunky D/C) was a total shot in the dark, but it feels like it'll work out nicely.

Thanks, I'll be interested to hear how you like it when it's done. Also how much work it is/was to get the frets leveled properly.

Back