New Bass Project

ognolman

I'm fairly far along on this one... Some more sanding, shaping and a little routing.  It is "a Warmoth" in that it was cut from a Warmoth body blank.  But aside from that, I've done all the shaping and routing.  It'll have a Fender MIM fretless neck, Bartolini pickups.  Some sort of natural finish.

2468503474_29cf7d7132_o.jpg

2467678961_a7004ba2e0_o.jpg

2467678987_fa3bc9c521_o.jpg

This is the first time I've cut the body from a blank and I must say, it's a piece of cake.  You just cut away everything that doesn't look like a guitar!  Actually, it's been a difficult and demanding effort and it gives me a whole new appreciation of how difficult it is to make a body...

J. Ben Davis

RLW said:
Looks fantastic, the heel in particular.

:hello2:
x2

what a cool way to learn what makes an instrument. Must be really rewarding to see something like that take shape. Can't wait to see more updates. :rock-on:

Thanks for the compliments, guys.  I'm impressed that you noticed the heel countour, RLW.  Good catch!  I actually have to be careful with it because the neck screws will go all the way to the fretboard.  I think I'm going to have to find some shorter screws...

Did you notice that the MusicMan pickup rout is upside down?  :icon_scratch:  Of course, I meant to do that!

So I'm debating: Tru-Oil or (pure) Tung Oil or Reranch Clear or Danish Oil or just send it off to a pro...  I haven't figured out how to finish the thing.  I'm leaning towards the Tung Oil option, though.

JBD

ognolman said:
Did you notice that the MusicMan pickup rout is upside down?  :icon_scratch:  Of course, I meant to do that!

JBD

Just tell everyone that the tone is better that way! Trust me, they'll just nod. I can't throw stones, considering how many, uh, "mods" I made to my Koa Tele.

:icon_biggrin:

Back