New Audio Inteface day

mayfly

Epic Member
Hey - just picked up this guy from sweetwater. 
So far it's been working out very well.  It even has built-in compression on the front end!  I like it!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 330
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 325
Can't tell which one you have but a bought the Tascam US-2x2 at MF on a Stupid Deal of the Day for $99 (regular $149, MSRP $199).  Saw it again for $89  :doh:

These things are all new to me.  Was looking at a Focusrite but couldn't pass up this deal.  Still haven't found any amp modeling software that blows me away. 

Who says you need to use it for amp modeling? An interface literally takes whatever analog source you throw at it and gets it into your computer.

Congrats man! Those Tascams do a similar job converting as the focusrites, which is a good thing at that price point.

I've been looking at a Universal Audio UA4-710D. Decent preamps, compression, and 8 channels of audio conversion in a single 2u rack, and cheap too. Mmmmm. Not super long term, but still great for the money, and totally more than workable.

But sorry for derailing. Congrats man! Recording is a fun little world.

Understood but I hear others using Guitar Rig & Amplitube, etc. and they sound pretty good.  In my hands, not so much.

ಠ_ಠ said:
Who says you need to use it for amp modeling? An interface literally takes whatever analog source you throw at it and gets it into your computer.

Simulators/modellers can be funny things. Sometimes they sound magical, while other times they're dogshit awful. I suspect that's why you get so many conflicting opinions on their utility, quality and usefulness.

I can tell you from personal experience that the amps and speakers/cabs you use can make worlds of difference. Even the venerable Kemper and AxeFx units can be made to sound terrible if improperly applied. But, when done right, they're magical. The AxeFx has gotten so good, it's passing blind taste tests. But, aside from its accuracy, the success of the tests are largely due to the speakers and IR profiles being used.

I think guitars/basses have been pretty well sussed out. I also think the days of the "boutique" or "vintage" amp are numbered in the low digits. What people have to learn now is the rest of the chain. That is, the reproduction end. Power amps and speakers. Get those right, and you've got nothing to cry about but your own ability. Even Metallica, Alex Lifeson, Steve Vai and many other pros are using AxeFx units now in lieu of their refrigerator-size sfx racks, so that's gotta tell you something.

Back