Never thought of until today

intrusted

Greetings,
As a friend and I were discussing the Gecko 6 build. He asked what type of strings I will be using since this is fretless. I haven't the slightest idea I responded. So I am here wondering what type of strings should I use on this fretless bass? Ideas suggestions, recommendations? Thanks, by the way pictures will be forth coming as I get this build done. I will detail each picture as to how what and why I done certain things. Thanks.

Flatwound is traditional, but tapewounds are perfect. More highs than flats, but its still very smooth sounding. And it doesn't have the fingerboard wear of steel on wood.

I'm surprised. I've always thought that before anyone would ever venture down the fretless road, they'd have a better grip on what works and what doesn't. Taking off the training wheels, after all.

Sorry, I don't have any advice. I'm just always fascinated by fretless players.

You just have to want it. Lots of kids learn to play violin quite awfully. There's no entrance exam on fretless bass  Sure its harder, but less difficult than learning a bowed fretless instrument

Swarfrat, Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will be asking another friend who plays fretless what she uses. Been a while since I talked with her.

Cagey, With alot of PRO fretless players out there I always looked at what they use. And as typical they all use different types. Its not something I haven't ponder several years ago when I was still in the thinking stages of a fretless. But now that its getting closer to being finished its now more in the front channels of the brain.
Taking off the training wheels, after all.
You don't know how hard you made the wife and I laugh with that statement. We never really thought or looked at it that way. Thanks

Swarfrat,
Several years ago I was very tempted to get a Upright Bass. Very tempted. Still am. Just haven't pulled the bow so to say.

From the little I've seen on forums about the subject, I think you have to consider the fingerboard wood and the wear any type of strings will cause on the fingerboard.
Harder wood such as ebony will wear better and a rosewood board, with steel roundwound strings, will probably wear a lot worse.

Tapewound is also the preference for a lot of folks trying to emulate an URB on a fretless electric bass, if that's your angle.

You've given absolutely no criteria for which to base a recommendation, so whose opinion is going to be worth anything?

Personally, I like nickle roundwounds on all of my basses. The stainless steel wrapped strings I have tried were too bright, and flatwound strings usually sound dead. I have never tried any half-wounds or tapes, but I don't have high hopes for them.

as one who has played fretless 4's, 5's, and 6's for over (ack!!! :eek:) years, the only strings you'll find on one of my basses are Elixers. they ain't cheap for the initial purchase, but like a good set of flats (which I adore on fretted basses) they will last you ages. I have one 6-string fretless that has the same Elixers on it that it had when I purchased it used in 2004 - and records just as snappy and sweet as it did when I got it

Line6man,
You are correct on the criteria aspect, but with that being said Tony Franklin sound is more of what I am looking for. Also I have to mention that I like the sound of an URB. I posted the question as a reference point, what I am thinking may actually be the wrong direction I am wanting to go. I never know how or what sound I am looking for in a particular bass until I actually get strung up and played. That's when I actually start fine tuning the sound. All woods sound differently. I have two bass guitars that are identical in shape strings wood and make, both sound totally different.

Swarfrat that's what I am looking for. But I also like variations. I try and keep an open mind about all things I do.  What may sound right at the time may actually change in due time. It took me several different attempts at my other Gecko to get the sound I was looking for. I finally got it. All 9 of my bass's have a different sound to them all to gather. Only two of them have the exact same type of strings.

Like I said I started this tread as a reference point for me to get ideas and some thoughts from other players. I have over 30 plus years playing strictly bass guitars. I like getting other peoples thoughts and perspective on certain things music wise. That's why I didn't get into the criteria aspect of it. I have my own style and approach to this music. It works for me and it makes me happy!

Skuttlefunk ,
Thank you for your input on this subject. I will check into them, I have paid upwards on the dollar scale before for strings. Price doesn't matter to me, sound does. Once again thanks for your input.

I use D'Addario Half rounds (i.e. ground wounds) on my fretless.

Pressure wounds are a bit closer to roundwounds (if that's what you're after) while still being smooth. I use the GHS ones on one of my (fretted) basses.

intrusted said:
You are correct on the criteria aspect, but with that being said Tony Franklin sound is more of what I am looking for.

Tony Franklin is the textbook definition of a roundwound player. AFAIK, he uses nickle wound DR Sunbeams.

His original P bass has a Rosewood fingerboard, but his signature model has Ebony. I would suggest using Ebony, or Pau Ferro if you want a warmer tone. Rosewood is very soft, especially with rounds.

intrusted said:
line6man here is my neck. Bubinga neck shaft with  ebony fretboard lined fretless.

Fine choice. Ebony is pretty much the most durable wood for a fingerboard, and it is also bright and articulate.

Back