Need top screwdriver recommendations, both mini and regular

joelavely

I have an old Craftsman set of "regular" screwdrivers, and they just don't seem to work as well any longer - feels like the heads on the Philips drivers are "worn" and don't grip as well as they used to. Do they still exchange them for new ones (lifetime guarantee)? I assume not, or I think I heard that, given Sears' issues.

So, I am seeking recommendations for quality tipped screwdrivers. I also need a set of "precision" smaller heads for use with guitars, pedals, etc. Seems like the stuff in the big box stores is driven by low pricing and isn't terribly great stuff...I just don't want crap that is going to cause me problems, so wondering what you guys recommend?

Thanks!

it may seem like overkill but I have NEVER replaced any of my snap-on screwdrivers. you don't need to by a entire set just a few of your most used sizes. expect to pay about $150 for 4 or 5 screwdrivers but believe me you will lose them before you need to replace them.

I use Snap On at work, and if you want a screwdriver that takes a bite and won't let go then look no further. They aren't what you might call "pocket book friendly" however. For what it's worth my home shop is populated by Craftsman screwdrivers (including a full set of small precision drivers that I use quite a lot) and I have completed many many guitars and guitar-centric projects with them. The key difference between mine and yours, from the sounds of it, is that yours have a few more hours on them! Could just be time to replace whats worn out? I really think that a good set of Craftsman or equivalent will take care of you, but I'm sure the Snap On man would be happy to show you around his truck!

I used to work at Sears.  I can tell you that, so far as I know, you can still get replacements even with the state of things (you probably need to go to an actual Sears dept store, though).  You probably don't want the replacements, though.  The internals we used to fix old ratchets under warranty were crap - even brand new, they would slip or seize from time to time.  The whole Craftsman line has unfortunately gone downhill in the past 5 or 10 years.

I have Husky and Stanley tools (Husky is Home Depot's in-house brand if you didn't know).  Neither has given me any trouble, but they're firmly in the "homeowner grade" line of tools.  Same with Kobalt (Lowe's' in-house brand).  They're competent tools, but I probably wouldn't use them if my livelihood depended on them.

Sovereign_13 said:
I used to work at Sears.  I can tell you that, so far as I know, you can still get replacements even with the state of things (you probably need to go to an actual Sears dept store, though).  You probably don't want the replacements, though.  The internals we used to fix old ratchets under warranty were crap - even brand new, they would slip or seize from time to time.  The whole Craftsman line has unfortunately gone downhill in the past 5 or 10 years.

Well, that is both good to know and sad to hear!

I should clarify that the screwdrivers and other basic hand tools might still be fine.  I wouldn't touch the ratchets at this point, though.  The flip-lever to change directions on most of them are plastic, and they break off.  And the replacement parts have - you guessed it - plastic flip levers.  It's a rather unfortunate cycle of replacing poorly-made parts with more poorly-made parts.

Sears will still replace any of their hand tools, no muss no fuss.  After my grandfather died, we cleaned out his garage and I found a craftsman 3/4 breaker bar from the stone age that was busted at the pivot.  Took it in and got a new one.  When my screwdrivers get worn, chipped, bent, etc. I just take them down and get new ones.  None of my ratchets have plastic parts, so maybe that is their entry level line or something.  Ace Hardware is now carrying craftsman as well, and offer replacement tools.

"The internals we used to fix old ratchets under warranty were crap"

Not sure what that is referring to since they don't repair your tool and send it back to you; they just walk over to the shelf and grab a new one.

I've used Craftsman screwdrivers for years, and although I do agree that the latest crop does not compare well against the older lot, they are none the less serviceable for most purposes. I also have several Klein Tools drivers which are excellent, but much like Snap-On, they are costly.

Lately, I've been mostly using drive bits in hand held magnetic holders. This way, if there's ever a problem with a particular size bit, it only takes a second to swap it out for a fresh one. And bits are cheap enough to keep on hand, as even the best are only around dollar apiece, a lot cheaper than $20 for a good driver! You can get 25 DeWalt bits for less than $10. Sizes are available down to a 00 Phillips and around 3/32" flat tip. Anything smaller than that and you're into the "precision" driver range, but 1/8" drive bits are available in smaller sizes.

As for dedicated precision drivers, you might look into WIHA brand. They're made in Germany and a 7pc. set will cost you about $27.
https://www.amazon.com/26197-Precision-Slotted-Phillips-Screwdrivers/dp/B01L46TEN2/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1516141309&sr=8-20&keywords=precision+screwdrivers+set

I recently purchased a complete set of Stanley screwdrivers that are tipped with diamond chips. They absolutely WILL NOT SLIP. Look for the FATMAX set.

AirCap said:
I recently purchased a complete set of Stanley screwdrivers that are tipped with diamond chips. They absolutely WILL NOT SLIP. Look for the FATMAX set.
Just checked them out on Amazon. Definitely worth a try, I could use a 0 and 00 Phillips that refuse to cam out!

Mad Hatter said:

Not sure what that is referring to since they don't repair your tool and send it back to you; they just walk over to the shelf and grab a new one.

At my Sears, they only gave you a new one if we couldn't fix the old one.  "We" being the guys who unloaded trucks and maintained the inventory, and certainly had very little business repairing ratchets.  We had a lookup sheet with the different part numbers that are stamped into the handles, and a drawer full of new internal part sets.  We would pop the retainer ring out, dump the old parts into a bin,  and load up the handle with an all-new set of internals and some fresh lubricant.  Pop the faceplate back on, secure with the retainer ring, and hand it back to the customer.

If we were out of the particular parts set you needed, if we couldn't get that set anymore, or if you had damaged your ratchet in some way that we couldn't repair, you got a new ratchet.  Probably ~80% got repaired in the 10ish months I was there.

Note that this was at a Sears Department Store, and not a Sears Hardware Store (which is not actually owned by Sears, but licensed).

For any precision work like instruments or firearms, I almost exclusively use an armorer's bit set anymore.  I can always find a tip that fits any head with zero slop, which is what leads to marring and stripped heads.  Brownell's sells several different setups depending on your needs and/or budget.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-sets/magna-tip-super-sets--prod417.aspx

Sovereign_13 said:
Mad Hatter said:

At my Sears, they only gave you a new one if we couldn't fix the old one.  "We" being the guys who unloaded trucks and maintained the inventory, and certainly had very little business repairing ratchets.  We had a lookup sheet with the different part numbers that are stamped into the handles, and a drawer full of new internal part sets.  We would pop the retainer ring out, dump the old parts into a bin,  and load up the handle with an all-new set of internals and some fresh lubricant.  Pop the faceplate back on, secure with the retainer ring, and hand it back to the customer.

If we were out of the particular parts set you needed, if we couldn't get that set anymore, or if you had damaged your ratchet in some way that we couldn't repair, you got a new ratchet.  Probably ~80% got repaired in the 10ish months I was there.

Note that this was at a Sears Department Store, and not a Sears Hardware Store (which is not actually owned by Sears, but licensed).

Very interesting.  Over the last 30 years or so, I've replaced lot's of stuff and never seen them even attempt to repair something.  Usually they don't even look twice at it.  I think I've been to both the department and hardware stores.  I wonder if that's something regional?  I'd be pissed if they just tried to fix it, cuz that's not what their warranty says.  Wowzer.

The Sears lifetime replacement warranty on Craftsman hand tools is a lovely thing, but it may not last.  The vultures are circling the limping beast.  It's pretty clear that the folks running Sears, Kmart, and other once-venerable retail outfits are parting them out by selling or licensing the key brands and otherwise looting the joint until there's not much else to be had.  So if you have Craftsman tools to replace,  you might wanna do it sooner rather than later.  Once Sears is gone (and possible even before it's gone), the lifetime warranty may no longer be honored by whoever the person holding the trademark is at the end of the day.

Right. They've already announced the sale of Craftsman to, of all people, Black & Decker. Somehow, I can't imagine that working out well. Sounds like a page out of Microsoft's playbook - embrace, extend and extinguish.

ocguy106 said:
it may seem like overkill but I have NEVER replaced any of my snap-on screwdrivers. you don't need to by a entire set just a few of your most used sizes. expect to pay about $150 for 4 or 5 screwdrivers but believe me you will lose them before you need to replace them.
I agree. After years of building machinery, I use only Snap-On screwedrivers. Everything else wears out and strips screw heads. The only time I ever replaced one is after I grounded it across a 220v terminal.

Hehe! Yeah, you create a short-lived plasma cutter doing that sort of thing, and the screwdriver shaft has no defense. Comes out the loser every time :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Hehe! Yeah, you create a short-lived plasma cutter doing that sort of thing, and the screwdriver shaft has no defense. Comes out the loser every time :laughing7:
You got that right. :icon_biggrin:
Snap-on replaced the tip, though. :icon_thumright:

Well, if you haven't had a few bites taken out of your screwdriver(s) or side cutters, you're probably not having any fun  :laughing7:

Back