Need help choosing pickups...

Jon

Hey everyone.  I've got a mahogany SG (routed H S H) with maple/ebony neck and an Original Floyd Rose.  I've been looking around for pickups, and i'm thinking Dimarzios.  The only thing is, which ones should i go with?  I don't want the guitar to end up too bright, so  i'm thinking easy on the treble, but i still would like good, easy harmonics.  I'm thinking possibly a Fast Track 2 in the middle (I want 2 bridge pickups)  but other than that I don't really know.  I play hard rock/metal, but I would still like good cleans from at least 1 pickup.  Oh, and thanks in advance!

Why do you want two bridge pickups? That's whack and your sound is going to be uneven... Have you looked at GFS?

The fast track 2 is a great middle pickup for what you have stated.  I would consider a Tone Zone for the bridge and a PAF Pro or an Air Norton for the neck slot.

DocNrock said:
The fast track 2 is a great middle pickup for what you have stated.  I would consider a Tone Zone for the bridge and a PAF Pro or an Air Norton for the neck slot.
Okay, cool.  I think I'll go with The Tone Zone bridge, Fast Track 2 middle, and Air Norton neck.  Those sound perfect for me.  Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Sorry, one more question... Do I want both bridge and neck F spaced?

Actually...would a Super Distortion bridge fit nicely do you think?  Just something with a little more treble.

Okay, well, I've been thinking it over, and I'm still trying to find the perfect combo for me.  I was just wondering, what Seymour Duncans would work well for me?  Or are Dimarzios what I should go with?  I only have one chance to get this right, so that's why I've been contemplating this so much. Oh, and scratch the 2 bridge pickups, I'm figuring that was probably a bad idea.  Anyway, thanks for all the help.

For SD I'd probably say a '59 neck, classic stack mid, and a JB bridge.  Definitely a different tone than the Dimarzios though.

Huh, that's a little different from what I was thinking, but thanks!  Anyway, I have been looking for pickups with less treble, to try to not make the guitar too bright, but is this something that should be too much of a worry for me?  With the maple/ebony neck and OFR, and mahogany body, I was figuring the guitar would be leaning towards the brighter side, but is it?

I might even consider looking at a match set of SD Invaders for your SG. They've always had that deep throaty growl to them, plus those big-a** hex adjust pole pieces have always looked cool to me.

OK ,

I'm Go'in to SLAM this one . . . You CAN'T go wrong with SD or Dimarzio , SD is usually $more . Choices are  . . . Hot , Warm , Cool . . .

Why does everybody seem to OVER analyze this aspect ? :icon_scratch:

Okay, well, as of now, I'm thinking for DiMarzio Super 3/Air Norton S/Breed Neck (Bridge/Middle/Neck) or for SD Invader/Hot Rail/Invader.  Any opinions on those combos, or which one, would be great!

I have a SD Invader in bridge position in a pretty bright sounding guitar. It's great for crunch and metal, but doesn't do cleans very well. Not sure about the neck version. I use a SD '59 in the neck position and love it. Great all around smooth pickup. Great clean or distorted. Some people find the Invader to be muddy, but in a bright guitar I think it sounds great. It's loud as hell also.

Ooh, that sounds good, invader bridge, '59 neck.  The cleans from the Invaders were part of what I didn't like about them.  Well, that and that i have only tried them in my friend's guitar that made them sound pretty muddy (mahogany neck and body).  But the '59s sound like a great pickup to get the sounds that the Invader can't, so that combo sounds great.  Thanks!  Has anyone had experience with the Hot Rail (neck) pickup, that they can tell me how it is?

Okay, well before I order them, should I use a trembucker neck, or does the neck not matter so much?  I just wanted to double check before it was too late.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
You don't really need a trembucker, all it does is line up the poles to the string spacing of a OFR, but if you want go for it.
I'm using an OFR, but I've seen that they don't make much of a difference anyway.  It would mess my design up if I had to use one though...trembucker don't come in the color I want...or any custom color.

Jon said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
You don't really need a trembucker, all it does is line up the poles to the string spacing of a OFR, but if you want go for it.
I'm using an OFR, but I've seen that they don't make much of a difference anyway.  It would mess my design up if I had to use one though...trembucker don't come in the color I want...or any custom color.
well, a normal one will do, as far as i've heard there's little to no difference except the look.

I got a Dimarzio PAF pro in the neck and a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge on my 80's style strat with a floyd, and well, i dont think i could've picked better pups for what i play, which is anything from van halen, pink floyd, to more modern aggressive music, their surprisingly versatile, just my 2cent

Back