Need aesthetic advice

jackpax

The aesthetic problem:  I have a 1973 Strat.  The classic 70's natural finish.  Over the past 39 years, the finish has aged into a deep amber color.  I need to replace the neck and I'm going to get one from Warmoth.  What type of finish should I choose?  (It's definitely going to be a maple neck)  A friend recently got a Warmoth Tele neck with the "vintage tint gloss."  The thing looked so bright orange and completely unlike anything I've ever seen on any guitar anywhere.  So that's not an option.  But it looks like the same vintage tint in a satin finish isn't as bright.  It *almost* looks like my guitar.  But it is hard to tell from a picture on a computer screen.

Is there anyone here who has bought or seen the Warmoth vintage tint satin up close?  How does it look?  Does it match up with true vintage parts?

The other option is to buy the clear satin finish.  A sales rep at Warmoth told me that that type of finish will eventually oxidize to an amber tint.  In like a decade or so.  :-\

This one aesthetic choice has got me hung up and is preventing me from making the purchase.  As Hamlet once said, "What the heck am I supposed to do?"  I've included pictures of Warmoth's finish options and pics of my guitar below.  I'm hoping someone out there has some experience trying to match new Warmoth and vintage parts.

four%20finishes.jpg

Strat%20Parts.JPG

I have a vintage tint gloss Maple neck, and it looks very much like your original. But, I understand your concern about the orange tint. One of my brothers has one, and it's decidedly orange. So, tough call. I guess if it was me, I'd use the clear and call it good. New neck, new finish.

What I'd be more concerned about is your neck heel. That's one of those dreaded CBS 3-pointers, which is not the standard bolt pattern. So, if it was me, I'd be sure to call them up and ask for that. It's only another $15, but at least you won't be surprised.

I think I'd also go with the clear finish - either glossy or satin. Better to have a little bit of a contrast between body and neck, than to have an "almost" match, IMO.

Check out the canary necks in the showcase. It looks maple-ish, and it does not need a finish. Feels great.

Dammit. I was just checking those. Theres a canary/wenge, canary/pau, and a canary/zircote that all look sexy. Maybe go for a rosewood/rosewood. Sexy stuff for sure.

Kublai said:
Check out the canary necks in the showcase. It looks maple-ish, and it does not need a finish. Feels great.

Mmm. Good advice. Should've thought of it, but I was fixated on finishes. Canary also has the acoustic properties of Maple. I have a Canary neck here, and it's a wonderful thing. Highly recommended.

find one in the showcase that is the correct tint and buy it. or better yet buy a unfinished one and shoot it the tint you want.. 

Even though you already said
(It's definitely going to be a maple neck)
maybe you should sell your guitars and hike the Himalayas instead. Tibet is said to be lovely in April....

mrpinter said:
I think I'd also go with the clear finish - either glossy or satin. Better to have a little bit of a contrast between body and neck, than to have an "almost" match, IMO.

I have a clear gloss finish and abalone dot inlays on my neck and it's absolutely stunning.  It's gorgeous.  Pics do not do it justice.  These aren't really the best pics of it, but the guitar will be in the shop until tomorrow.  I can go ahead and post some higher-detailed pics of the neck when I get it back. 

IrisandWarmoth.jpg

Warmoth02.jpg

Arsenal.jpg

It's been months since my last post but I finally got around to ordering a new neck, installing the tuners, string trees, and micro tilt plate, as well as applying a custom decal.  And then getting the frets leveled and a general set up.  I went with mrpinter's advice of "Better to have a little bit of a contrast between body and neck, than to have an 'almost' match" and selected a simple clear satin finish.  I think I made a good choice.  Here it is!

Strat%20Portrait.JPG

Back