Need a new hardtail bridge ASAP!

fender101punk

I bought a custom made guitar from Warmoth, and when I ordered the parts, I bought the wrong bridge. It is the vintage fender style hardtail bridge. The bridge has a string spacing of 2 3/16" rather than 2 1/16". So, I went on ebay and bought a fender american hardtail bridge, not thinking too much about dimensions (stupid). Went to go mount it a few minutes ago and the mounting holes don't match up! Ugh.. On the Warmoth bridge, on the under side, from side to side, the mounting holes are exactly 2" from side to side. I even tried putting the saddles from the Fender bridge on the warmoth bridge, but the string holes didn't line up..

Just wondering if anyone can help me find a Fender american strat hardtail bridge with a string spacing of 2 1/16" and the mounting holes need to be 2" apart. I talked to the shop in town (I live in Ontario) and they can't even order these bridges.. So I have to look somewhere else.

Any help is appreciated. I need a new bridge asap

You need the narrow string spacing on the bridge, is that right? The bridge warmoth sells has spacing too wide for you? Just trying to clarify your question. Callaham makes a very good hardtail bridge, fits the warmoth rout exactly, but the spacing is even wider than Warmoth's I think. Enlarging the holes on the top of the body is what some people do I believe.

Yes, I need the 2 1/16" narrow spacing. The bridge I bought from Warmoth was the Vintage style bridge which is the wider 2 3/16".

The Fender american series strat hardtail bridge that I bought is the right spacing, but the 3 mounting holes and the string holes do not line up. For the string holes, like you said, could be enlarged to solve one problem, but the 3 mounting holes don't line up which I don't quite understand

Here is a picture I took of the Fender plate and the holes.

bridge.jpg

I put the original bridge back on the guitar aswell as my new strings for now until I can solve this problem.

Any help is appreciated

W drills for two types of strat hard tail bridges...vintage and narrow spaced. the narrow spaced ones use bigger string through holes. looks like you just need to buy the narrow spaced bridge and be done with it.

Brian

Max said:
If you really want to use that bridge, fill the holes, and redrill, I think.
That's what I'm thinking too.  Nobody's going to see it since its under the bridge.  You also only have to fill and drill the outer two.  Use the bridge as a template and you'll have the seven other holes and the pickguard to use as a reference.

I took another look at that bridge plate of yours.  Is that one of those Fender hardtail bridges with offset intonation screws? 

73089nn_18.jpeg

Blue313 said:
I took another look at that bridge plate of yours.  Is that one of those Fender hardtail bridges with offset intonation screws?  

73089nn_18.jpeg

Yes, the screws are offset to the left

and btw, how did you find that picture?  :dontknow:

I remember talking to Spike a few months ago about this one.  Apparently the string through holes have to be moved back by about 3/4" so that bridge will intonate properly.  I'd probably call Warmoth about it in the morning.

I have that bridge on my Fender Am Hardtail.  I ended up getting vintage replacement saddles for it from Callaham, offset included.

sd_as.jpg

So it is more complicated than just the mounting holes?

edit-- If you moved the string through holes back, they wouldn't line up with the holes in the bridge?

I don't really like the bridges from warmoth and the vintage fender style. I like how the american series bridges have the stainless saddles and are flat, and are nice to put my hand on it when palm muting.

fender101punk said:

edit-- If you moved the string through holes back, they wouldn't line up with the holes in the bridge?

I don't really like the bridges from warmoth and the vintage fender style. I like how the american series bridges have the stainless saddles and are flat, and are nice to put my hand on it when palm muting.
It might be complicated.  I can't say Ive put a W vintage hardtail body next to mine, but this was Spike's recommendation.  The whole bridge needed to be moved back, string through holes included.  It's why I'm saying its worth a phone call to find out if their rout is incompatible with that particular bridge.  :dontknow:

Graphtech also makes saddles for that, though I know it doesn't solve your main problem.

Blue313 said:
fender101punk said:

It might be complicated.  I can't say Ive put a W vintage hardtail body next to mine, but this was Spike's recommendation.   The whole bridge needed to be moved back, string through holes included.  It's why I'm saying its worth a phone call to find out if their rout is incompatible with that particular bridge.   :dontknow:

ahh no way. well, thanks for the help. I'll see what they have to say

I sent an email and I was told it won't fit without major mods.. So I guess I'm stuck ordering the narrow spaced biridge from them, and finding replacement saddles that I like

Back