Neck suggestion for Black Korina Body

robzebr

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a finished Black Korina chambered Strat body...with Black Korina laminate top.... 2 singles and 1 humbucker with a FLoyd Rose tremelo...

What would you suggest as a complimentary neck... ?
I would be leaning more towards a matching (?) or complimentary look as opposed to going to the opposite side of the color spectrum...

Tone wise ... something in line with tone of the Korina... nothing too bright... but I'm open to it if its needed...

Attachments

• korina.jpg
    korina.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 286
Wenge/Ebony may not be original, but then again you don't already own all those other people's guitars with the combo. Breathing air is also not very original, but still highly recommended.

There are several very nice black korina/rosewood, bk/ebony, & mahogany necks in the showcase. Beautiful body, by the way! (Don't EVEN go there, you filthy old men!!)

Scuffcakes said:
Koa neck with Kingwood or Pau Ferro board.

The Koa/Kingwood combination is interesting....

I read an opinion somewhere that with Black Korina which has streaks in the grain ... its best to go with a fretboard that isn't streaky as its main characteristic ....  in other words a subtle streak or two is ok... but not a heavy streak pattern ...  the thought being that it would "fight" with the Korina top as opposed to complimenting it...

I think I would agree with that...  Of these 2 Kingwood examples... one is more streaky than the other... but both are on the subtle side...

Attachments

• kingwoodsolid.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 252
  • kingwoodsteak.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 793
The only problem is...the neck builder doesn't allow for a Koa neck with a wizard contour....

Does anybody know if that is a firm rule... maybe because of wood strength and the Wizard takes off more wood... maybe too much depending on  what type of wood.... 

That body has some red in it.  If I had that guitar body, I would go with bubinga as the neck wood, with either ebony or zircote as the fingerboard.  No finish needed.

Ask the dubya - all we can postulate, but I do know that Mahogany & Koa aren't nearly as stiff as Hard Maple. I kind of expect they won't like the idea.

Personally i like wenge with black korina, but i do also have a VW body in black korina with all birdseye maple...

I like an Ebony/ Bloodwood neck on Black Korina...

IMG_2235_Sm.JPG

Thanks. Somebody else did a BK Strat body that way a couple years ago, and I thought it was pretty attractive so I tried it here. The real beauty is that neck, though. What a piece of work that is! It's one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played, and it has a nice, rich, solid tone to it. I keep looking for an excuse to use another one.

Me?

That's a "Standard Thin" with a 1 11/16" width at the (TUSQ) nut. Also, those are the "Gold" frets Warmoth uses (6100 size), and I installed SS threaded inserts to mount it. Finally, I break the corners and burnish the neck meat like this. The whole thing is so smooth and solid, it almost feels like plastic. Bloodwood is very dense, almost like Ebony, so it polishes up beautifully. Even raw, it feels like the finest satin/silk, but never glosses up like a lacquer/poly satin finish will.

Back